palm sync worked in daryna but not elyssa

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
donlinux
Level 2
Level 2

palm sync worked in daryna but not elyssa

Post by donlinux »

I had an almost perfectly working palm sync with evolution when using daryna. It synced at least every other try which I've found is about right for a linux to palm sync. Anyway, I did a clean install of elyssa, with a saved separate home partition. now, I cannot sync my palm m130 anymore.
I've tried everything on the ubuntu forums set up pages here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Po...Devices/PalmOS
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PalmDeviceSetup

My lsusb is as follows so I know it's finding my palm.
Bus 007 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 004 Device 003: ID 0830:0050 Palm, Inc. Palm M130
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 046d:c521 Logitech, Inc. MX620 Laser Cordless Mouse
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 003 Device 006: ID 0922:001a Dymo-CoStar Corp.
Bus 003 Device 005: ID 067b:2305 Prolific Technology, Inc. PL2305 Parallel Port
Bus 003 Device 004: ID 0451:2046 Texas Instruments, Inc. TUSB2046 Hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

in daryna, I was syncing through a hub with no problems, I've tried it through the hub and through a clean usb port to no avail.

I removed my pda settings, removed my cradle settings from my old home partition's settings as they were not working.
When gnome-pilot runs now, it goes to the normal "this is the first time you've run it" dialog and I've tried every available setting that is allowable and it cannot connect.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is my business calendar / contacts and I'm out of business until it's fixed.

Thanks,
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: palm sync worked in daryna but not elyssa

Post by Husse »

I think this is something in your home folder
I must do something to advertise that you should move all your hidden files and folders in home away from home before installing
Check these files and/or search for "palm" in home
There is also a topic about just this which I participated in
This one - it is for a pda in general, but a palm is a pda, right?
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... =evolution
donlinux
Level 2
Level 2

Post by donlinux »

Thanks for the help Husse, but that was not what I was looking for.
I'm just looking to quickly sync my palm pilot m130 through usb with evolution.
Last night, I took the drastic step of doing a clean install of Elyssa, including formatting my home partition.
Same results. lsusb shows my palm m130, I added visor to etc/modules, rebooted. Same thing. can't sync.
I have no idea why it worked flawlessly in Daryna, but for the time being I guess I need to revert to Windows to sync my palm which means abandoning evolution, elyssa and everything else I've worked for these past 4 months or else downgrade back to daryna.
I've spent 3 days trying to get this to sync and my business cannot afford anymore downtime.

Thanks,

Don
Husse

Post by Husse »

Go back to Daryna immediately - there is no need to use the latest
I'll mark this and ask the team for a solution as I think it's important to fix this - I think (or guess) a kernel issue
donlinux
Level 2
Level 2

Post by donlinux »

Just wondering if there had been any discussion on this issue and if I'm the only one experiencing it.

Thanks,
Husse

Post by Husse »

At least you're the only one I have found in the forum and I read even more posts than i write
I've asked the team, but no one took the bait - they probably don't have palms...
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

My Palm T|X initially didn't work with Elyssa, but this was easily fixed. I use usb sync, and in gnome-pilot was an option to specify the device location of my Palm. I think the default was /dev/usb, and I changed it to usb:. Don't have laptop at work with me.
donlinux
Level 2
Level 2

Post by donlinux »

well I've discovered a couple of things that are interesting, but my non-sync in hardy/elyssa still exists.

I booted off of the gutsy live cd and installed palm device using usb: it never found it. when I tried usb:0 it told me I needed the visor module loaded. Once I did a sudo modprobe visor, synced using usb:0, it worked flawlessly and instantly.

Then I booted the hardy heron live cd. went to install palm, using usb: and it never found it. Tried "usb:any" with no luck. tried usb:0 and was told I needed to load the visor module. did sudo modprobe visor, tried again using usb:0 (which worked in gutsy) no luck. didn't work with usb:, usb:0, usb:1 or dev pilot either with or without the visor module loaded.

I guess this would have to be a kernel issue as it worked in gutsy/daryna but not hardy/elyssa? Just for kicks I tried gpilot, jpilot, kpilot. None of them could find the palm even though is showed up doing a lsusb

I can't believe I'm the only one having this issue. I am truly enjoying the heck out of elyssa as it's the only distro so far that works with my onboard video card giving me any graphical effects. This sync issue, though is frustrating the heck out of me.

Anyone with any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
donlinux
Level 2
Level 2

Post by donlinux »

Just to update this post.
I found this: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/226197
So I guess it's a kernel issue.
My next question is this. Will Elyssa eventually use the newer kernel? Will it be part of a regular mint update? or do I need to manually update my kernel. If so, is there a fairly foolproof way of doing it so I don't wreck anything else?

Many thanks as always.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Well there is no Ubuntu kernel 2.6.25 by now and Intrepid will use 2.6.26
Perhaps this issue is solved then - it would be really bad if it wasn't
This
http://ubuntu-unleashed.blogspot.com/20 ... -with.html
describes how to get the latest kernel, but I can't say anything about what breaks or not....
donlinux
Level 2
Level 2

Post by donlinux »

The kernel update almost worked. It wasn't real fond of my onboard graphics nor did it want to find my built in wireless. I played around with it for a while, ascertained that the visor module did work, synced my palm nicely, but didn't have time to mess with finding wireless. I did a fresh reinstall of elyssa which is a breeze with a separate home directory and I guess my best option is to wait for intrepid now.

thanks for all your input and help.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Seems that a solution may have been found
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... 49&t=16012
donlinux
Level 2
Level 2

Post by donlinux »

Thanks Husse. I appreciate you remembering this problem I'm having.

Sudo modprobe visor was the first thing I tried before trying pretty much everything in both this and the ubuntu forums.

Here's the final disposition: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/226197

It's a broken visor module.
jag1182

Post by jag1182 »

Tried to go to the launchpad site, got this message:

Lost something?

There’s no page with this address in Launchpad.

Check that you entered the address correctly.

* Return to the Launchpad front page
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

donlinux
Level 2
Level 2

Post by donlinux »

This issue has been fixed in kernel 2.6.25 see here: http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=10118

My questions is whether Elyssa will have an upgrade to this kernel now? Or do I have to compile my own (which I've never done before)

thanks,
Husse

Post by Husse »

At least Felicia will have that kernel - but keep an eye on level 4 and 5 updates in mintUpdate, but I doubt there will be a 2.6.25 kernel there
donlinux
Level 2
Level 2

Post by donlinux »

Return to “Hardware Support”