What Sound Card to purchase?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MystDragon
Level 1
Level 1

What Sound Card to purchase?

Post by MystDragon »

I love Mint for the most part, and Linux, however all the distro's appear to be light years behind the corporate machine of Microsoft in the area of sound support. I did have a Asus P5NSLI motherboard, which contained a unsupported audio codec chipset. Now I have a Gigabyte GAP35 DS3L with a partially supported chipset that is supposedly suppose to have full support. Getting sound is not a problem with either of these boards, however, I do use Skype alot and must have mic input. I have yet to get the mic to work in any distro with either of these boards. I even followed the instructions on loading up the Realtek drivers and alas.. still didn't work. In fustration, I just want to know if there is a sound card out there that is fully supported out of the box, and one that is still available. Again, voice communication is the key here.

Thanks in advance,

MystDragon
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: What Sound Card to purchase?

Post by Husse »

Maybe not the answer you want but buy a decent USB headset
I have one that costs something like 25$ which works quite well in Skype - out of the box

Return to “Hardware Support”