No sound

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
soundissues!

No sound

Post by soundissues! »

Hello all,

My first post on these forums!
I'm starting to use Linux Mint all the time now, and beginning to ditch Windows, but I'm having a sound problem.

I'm completely new to Linux, so I don't know what information you need to help me out. The problem started after what I assume is a kernel upgrade? (The Linux mint bootloader developed another menu entry.)

There is no sound at all, when I click the volume control it says "No volume control GStreamer plugins and/or devices found."
Music and videos refuse to play: Totem: "The audio device is busy. Is another application using it?"

Test sounds in the sound control menu won't play with ALSA or pulseaudio or any other sound playback thing.
When you click 'test':
ALSA: "audiotestsrc wave=sine freq=512 ! audioconvert ! audioresample ! gconfaudiosink: Could not open audio device for playback."
Pulseaudio: "audiotestsrc wave=sine freq=512 ! audioconvert ! audioresample ! gconfaudiosink: Failed to connect stream: Invalid argument"

What other information do I need to give?
Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: No sound

Post by 67GTA »

The kernel update nixed your sound module. You can boot into the old kernel at the grub menu to get your sound back. You used to be able to use alsaconf, but now pulseaudio is used as the sound server and I don't know how to reset the default card with it. You might try some things here while booted into the new kernel: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshooting
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
soundissues!

Post by soundissues! »

Hi

Thanks very much 67GTA, your suggestion worked and I'm very grateful for the help. I can go back to boycotting Windows now!
I just followed the these instructions in the most recent kernel and all is well:

"Upgrading from an earlier release of Ubuntu to Hardy you may end up missing kernel sound modules"
if "find /lib/modules/`uname -r` | grep snd" returns no results, then your upgrade/dist-upgrade missed the linux-ubuntu-modules package, you need to install it and reboot:

sudo aptitude install linux-ubuntu-modules-`uname -r` linux-generic

Thank again!
qbicdesign

Post by qbicdesign »

Nice !
thanks for that, i was struggling with a Kernel update with same problem
Now its V cool, and pulse gives me soooooo much more control
v happy :D

Return to “Sound”