Audacity Error

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Audacity Error

Post by antiquexray »

While I keep up with the forums, as of late I haven't been heard from much simply because everything seems to work just fine, until now. When I try and run Audacity I get "Error while opening sound device. Please check the output device settings and project sample rate." It use to work, now it doesn't. A Google search sent me to the Ubuntu Forums, but they haven't helped.

Now, I have to be honest and say I don't know if I've used Audacity with Elyssa; it worked fine in Daryna. I've gone through Edit>Preferences and changed all the Playback Devices and changed my rates, all with zero luck. To make matters worse, somewhere in all my note I have info on how to determine my sound card, but I can't find that either. Can someone help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Audacity Error

Post by Husse »

Well to determine you sound card run

Code: Select all

lspci | grep -i audio
Audacity is not a default application so you must have installed it....
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

Husse wrote:Well to determine you sound card run

Code: Select all

lspci | grep -i audio
Audacity is not a default application so you must have installed it....
Thanks Husse. I'll try that when I get home from work in about 4 hours.

You are absolutely correct about me installing Audacity. I have done so on the Mint release for that last couple years. Never had a problem until know, and really all I'm trying to do is create a ringtone (it's been frustrating). I'll let you know.
badmotor

Post by badmotor »

Unfortunately, I don't think Audacity works with PulseAudio that is default audio server in Elyssa (or Hardy). I never got it running properly and had to give up using it. You can try and change the different sound devices under edit>preferences, but I never had any success. And likewise, it DID used to work in Daryna/Feisty.

Sadly, I had to install to install XP on my laptop just to record audio. I think Recording has been really been left behind/given a low priority with the new version of Ubuntu. You will get the odd smartass on the Ubuntu forums saying "...well it works fine for me", but I think the majority of people have problems.

If you really want to record, I would have to suggest an older O.S: Daryna or Feisty or Ubuntu Studio 7.10/8.04.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

badmotor wrote:Unfortunately, I don't think Audacity works with PulseAudio that is default audio server in Elyssa (or Hardy). I never got it running properly and had to give up using it. You can try and change the different sound devices under edit>preferences, but I never had any success. And likewise, it DID used to work in Daryna/Feisty.

Sadly, I had to install to install XP on my laptop just to record audio. I think Recording has been really been left behind/given a low priority with the new version of Ubuntu. You will get the odd smartass on the Ubuntu forums saying "...well it works fine for me", but I think the majority of people have problems.

If you really want to record, I would have to suggest an older O.S: Daryna or Feisty or Ubuntu Studio 7.10/8.04.
Well you know badmotor, I think you may be onto something. As a matter-of-fact, I had to install it on XP as well to do my editing.

Please, anyone, prove me wrong.
badmotor

Post by badmotor »

antiquexray wrote:
badmotor wrote:Unfortunately, I don't think Audacity works with PulseAudio that is default audio server in Elyssa (or Hardy). I never got it running properly and had to give up using it. You can try and change the different sound devices under edit>preferences, but I never had any success. And likewise, it DID used to work in Daryna/Feisty.

Well you know badmotor, I think you may be onto something. As a matter-of-fact, I had to install it on XP as well to do my editing.

Please, anyone, prove me wrong.
I'd LOVE to be proved wrong.
badmotor

Post by badmotor »

mentex wrote:Hi badmotor,

Sorry if I don't understand, I'm jurassic, but what are you trying to grab/record? I'm running Elyssa XFCE with Audacity installed and it grabs/records audio from external audio like pc-webcam microphone or real sound like lps and k7 - I've told I'm jurassic. :)
An application like Amsynth with virtual keyboard (vkeybd) is possible to save the "music" and edit on Audacity. Also Hydrogen and Zynaddsubfx completes my set of noise. All installed via synaptic and running fine.

Are you trying something different?
It wasn't me that did the original post :D
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

badmotor wrote:
mentex wrote:Hi badmotor,

Sorry if I don't understand, I'm jurassic, but what are you trying to grab/record? I'm running Elyssa XFCE with Audacity installed and it grabs/records audio from external audio like pc-webcam microphone or real sound like lps and k7 - I've told I'm jurassic. :)
An application like Amsynth with virtual keyboard (vkeybd) is possible to save the "music" and edit on Audacity. Also Hydrogen and Zynaddsubfx completes my set of noise. All installed via synaptic and running fine.

Are you trying something different?
It wasn't me that did the original post :D
I did the original post, and I can't get Audacity to work at all. Please tell me what I'm doing wrong?
Missed
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Missed »

antiquexray wrote: I did the original post, and I can't get Audacity to work at all. Please tell me what I'm doing wrong?
Works fine for me.

Open a terminal, then do . . . killall pulseaudio

Then try Audacity again.
magnus0

Post by magnus0 »

When I try to select alsa in Audacity, it just freezes :?
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

Missed wrote:
antiquexray wrote: I did the original post, and I can't get Audacity to work at all. Please tell me what I'm doing wrong?
Works fine for me.

Then try Audacity again.
Nope. That didn't work. It grays out and then I get the same error.
Missed
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Missed »

antiquexray wrote:
Missed wrote:
Works fine for me.

Then try Audacity again.
Nope. That didn't work. It grays out and then I get the same error.

O.K., got me beat!
One thing you have to do, is to turn off system sounds. Control Center/Hardware/Sound/Sounds.

Also check out the Audacity Wiki. http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Return to “Sound”