Miro installation, and crash fix tutorial.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
McLovin

Miro installation, and crash fix tutorial.

Post by McLovin »

First I would like to start by saying this is for Linux Mint 4.0 Daryna
Ok, a lot of ppl are wanting the newest version of Miro, (1.0) and aren't sure how to go about it, do you use the Software Portal? Do you use the Ubuntu install method listed on the Miro site? Compile from source?
Well you can use ANY of these methods, but no matter how you do it, you will have to do a little configuring.
If you are interested in the older version (0.9) you can just install it using apt-get

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install miro
And no configuring will be necessary, though it will be uglier, and a little buggier.
What I am going to do here is outline how to install Miro using the 2 first methods I listed above, (if you want to compile it from source, you most likely don't need me to tell how you to compile, however if you do, just post here, or pm me and I will do my best to explain it step by step).
So let's get started.
Method 1: Using the Ubuntu install method from the Miro web site
Ok, first thing we need to do is add the repository to our apt list, to do this the web site tells you to add the repository by opening Synaptic, going to settings, repositories, and clicking on the “Third Party” tab, well this doesn't exist in Mint, so how do we add it? Just edit the /etc/apt/sources.list file, to do this open a terminal and enter

sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
This will open a text editor window, scroll to the bottom and add this to the list

deb http://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/pculture.org/miro/linux/repositories/ubuntu gutsy/

***NOTE, make sure you copy and past the repo EXACTLY as it is listed, the "/" at the end is NECESSARY for the repo to work properly.***

***You can also add the repos through Synaptic, though it is a little different than most people may think, you will go to Synaptic, click on Settings, then repositories. Once there you are going to want to click on "New" in the lower left corner, make sure you have the drop down box above it set to "Binary (deb)". Now enter this where it says "URL:"

deb http://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/pculture.org/miro/linux/repositories/ubuntu
Then enter this where it says "Distribution:"

gutsy/
Again remember to keep the "/" at the end, it is necessary. Then click "OK" and it will ad the repo, it will the tell you that you have new repositories and that you need to refresh them, go ahead and do that.***

Then save the file and close. Go back to the terminal, now we need to update our sources lists, to do this enter this into the terminal

sudo apt-get update
Now our sources are updated with the Miro repositories, now all we have to do to install is stay in the terminal and enter

sudo apt-get install miro
You can also do this using Synaptic, just do a search for "Miro" (without the quotes) right click on it, and chose "install". Now Miro will install. Check the Sound & Video section on your menu and make sure you see Miro in there, if you do, that's it, Miro is installed.
Method 2: Using the Software Portal
This is probably the #1 easiest way to install the newest Miro, just go to the Software Portal, click on Daryna, internet, and Miro is on the second page. Click the “Install Now” button, and let the goodness happen.
Ok, now we have Miro installed, but a lot ppl have been having issues with Miro crashing on startup, this is because it is conflicting with the Java-6 plug-in, if you start Miro from a terminal (by typing miro into the terminal) you will see this error code,

/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/dbus_bindings.py:1: DeprecationWarning: The dbus_bindings module is not public API and will go away soon.

Most uses of dbus_bindings are applications catching the exception

dbus.dbus_bindings.DBusException. You should use dbus.DBusException

instead (this is compatible with all dbus-python versions since 0.40.2).

If you need additional public API, please contact the maintainers via

<dbus@lists.freedesktop.org>.

from dbus.dbus_bindings import *

INFO     Starting up Miro

INFO     Version:  0.9.8.1

INFO     Revision: unknown

INFO     Loading preferences...

INFO     Starting event loop thread

INFO     Restoring database...

INFO     Connecting to /home/john/.miro/sqlitedb

TIMING   Database load slow: 0.765

INFO     Recomputing filters...

INFO     Spawning auto downloader...

INFO     Displaying main frame...

INFO     *** Launching Downloader Daemon ****

WARNING  Menu item action "CheckVersion" not implemented

WARNING  Menu item action "RenameVideo" not implemented

WARNING  Menu item action "FastForward" not implemented

WARNING  Menu item action "Rewind" not implemented

WARNING  Menu item action "UpVolume" not implemented

WARNING  Menu item action "DownVolume" not implemented

WARNING  Volume changed before videoDisplay created

WARNING  Display updated before video display was created

INFO     Creating video display...

alsa

oss

pulseaudio

esd

none

file

INFO     loaded renderer 'xinerenderer'

INFO     got file:///tmp/tmpPHds84.html

TIMING   Icon clear: 0.294

INFO     Finished startup sequence

TIMING   idle (Finishing startup) too slow (2.572 secs)

INFO     got file:///tmp/tmpYOA9-0.html

INFO     *** Daemon ready ***

INFO     got https://www.miroguide.com/

/usr/bin/python2.5: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.03/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so: undefined symbol: PR_NewMonitor

WARNING  downloader: connection closed -- quitting

INFO     Shutting down downloaders...
notice this specific line

/usr/bin/python2.5: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.03/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so: undefined symbol: PR_NewMonitor
uh oh, :shock: now what :?: Well luckily this is a pretty easy fix.
The Fix
Ok, now comes the configuring that I spoke of earlier, we have to remove Java-6, (make sure to exit FireFox before doing this) Now open a terminal and enter

sudo apt-get remove sun-java6-plugin
This will remove Java-6 from your system. From here we have to install icedtea-java7-plugin, I am using the icedtea-java7-plugin on my system, and they work seamlessly and I will tell how to do this, right after these messages.

:mrgreen: do do do dodo dodo do do............................... :mrgreen:

Welcome back, now to install the icedtea-java7-plugin, just open Synaptic and do a search for it, when you find it, right click, and chose install. Then open the terminal one last time, and enter this

sudo update-alternatives --config java 
Select the icedtea-java7-plugin from the list, and close the terminal.

That's it, it worked flawlessly for me and I hope it works for you too.
If you have any issues or questions, just post here, and I'll do my best to answer them.

Here is a screenshot showing Miro 1.0 running on my Mint 4.0 system
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 7 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Miro installation, and crash fix tutorial.

Post by merlwiz79 »

This sould be the repo.

deb http://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/pculture.org/miro/linux/repositories/ubuntu gutsy/
Last edited by merlwiz79 on Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

merlwiz79 wrote:This sould be the reo.

you are right, putting it in a quote messed it up, i just fixed it, my fault, sorry for that.
rcdeacon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rcdeacon »

Mclovin, your fix did the trick. Thanks for the help.
Neither is there in any other: for there is no other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved. Acts 4:12.
Dell Dimension 4600, 1g, Nvidia 5500, Mint 4.0, Mepis 7.0, XP
Acer Aspire 5002 WLMi, 1g, Sis 760, Mint 4.0
the_because

Post by the_because »

Hi,

I tried to install Miro following the instructions here, but I hit a roadblock trying to install IcedTea. Installation fails because of an error while configuring icedtea-java7-bin, saying that the shared library libjli.so couldn't be found. After many frustrating attempts, I decided to give up and reinstall sun-java6. Now even that is complaining about not being able to find libjava.so (and btw, removing icedtea was another pain -- apt repeatedly tried to configure it, dpkg stopped on error in prerm, so I had to manually edit the prerm script :(). Any ideas? I'm running Daryna from a LiveUSB stick.

Thanks!
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

How much room do you have on your usb stick? your home folder may be on your HDD, but your root is on that thumb drive, if there is not enough room for all the packages you will run into these kinds of issues. also, have you looked in synaptic for libjava.so?
the_because

Post by the_because »

I am using a 2 GB pendrive, and it shows some 400 MB free (everything, including installed software and updates, and the home directory, is on it). So space shouldn't be an issue.
Also, both times (installing IcedTea and reinstalling Sun Java), the files which couldn't be "found", i.e. libjli.so and libjava.so, respectively, were present physically (/usr/lib/jvm/java-7-icedtea/jre/lib/i386/jli/libjli.so and /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.03/jre/lib/i386/libjava.so). It's when dpkg tries to configure the respective 'bin' packages that the error comes up. I have no clue why. :(
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

try removing those files and then reinstalling them. out of curiosity, was firefox open when you tried to do this?
the_because

Post by the_because »

Hi,

I tried reinstalling IcedTea, but it stops again and again at the same error: libjava.so not found (Java SE runtime couldn't be found) when configuring icedtea-java7-bin. And yes, firefox was not running. :(
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

go into synaptic and try to install it, when you click to install it, it will make sure you have all required packages.
Sayhar
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Sayhar »

will I have to mess around with Java in the in year or so when the icedtea plugin becomes obsolete?
molom

Post by molom »

@mclovin
Miro 1.1 has been released! Do you know anyone that can make a .mint for it?

Cheers,
molom
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

Mint install files seem pretty easy to make (although I've not tried it myself!)

http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=18673

Note: I dont think you need to include the version number anymore, that part of the process has been removed.
molom

Post by molom »

After all the nice features Miro has, I can't believe it... IT DOESN'T HAVE DVD SUPPORT!!! I can't believe it, why with all the video features and library's and it doesn't have DVD support, I find that extremely strange. Oh well, I guess, Totem for DVD's and Miro for Videos.

Cheers,
molom
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

Lets all vote for DVD playback here..

http://www.getmiro.com/forum/comments.p ... e=1#Item_0

From what I understand they are maybe considering adding DVD playback, but they are unsure about it because I think to be honest they wanna sell themselves as something different from just another media player, rather they wanna be seen as this internet video hub, but I'm sure if enough people told them they want full media player style video playback flexibility they would listen.
molom

Post by molom »

belovedmonster wrote:Lets all vote for DVD playback here..

http://www.getmiro.com/forum/comments.p ... e=1#Item_0

From what I understand they are maybe considering adding DVD playback, but they are unsure about it because I think to be honest they wanna sell themselves as something different from just another media player, rather they wanna be seen as this internet video hub, but I'm sure if enough people told them they want full media player style video playback flexibility they would listen.
I've taken out Miro from the Linux Mint E17 edition just because of that function. WHAT A PAIN!!!

Cheers,
molom

Return to “Software & Applications”