Best photo management app?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Re: Best photo management app?

Post by Husse »

I have no favourite, but our developer Boo likes f-spot and gthumb
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

I've always been partial to Digikam.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

why i like f-spot is because when it downloads photos it puts them in a chronological folder tree down to each day.
maybe i just like structure instead of all photos in one folder and use a db or tag system to order/find them.
I don't use any photo edit tools in it, I use gimp for that.
I will be looking into digiKam a bit more. I just wish/hope that it could use the same chronological folder structure.

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

GTHUMB :D

See my post (page 2) here:

"if you try to go deeper with Gthumb you'll clearly understand how f-spot is useless.
Gthumb is the only gnome app i know that can print multiple photos on the same page! something Windows XP had built-in in 2001.
So, we can't replace gthumb with f-spot. (and you can tag with gthumb too)."
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
BakUp
Level 3
Level 3

Post by BakUp »

I use Gimp, have tried others but this is my favorite for normal task.
jslive1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jslive1 »

I use, in combination:

* Nautilus, which does thumbnails quite nicely
* Gthumb or other image viewer, like eog or gqview
* A standardized folder naming system adhered to by me and my wife. (Always start the folder name with a leading zero, to five digits, then the folder number, the name of the camera used, and the date, and, optionally (although it should be required) a description of the folder contents.)

I have not found a software image management tool that is all of these things:

* is not slow (f-spot, gthumb)
* does not want to move the images around into its idea of where it should keep the images (f-spot)
* is a GTK/Gnome app (digikam is KDE) (I hate using KDE apps in Gnome, and not jsut for "purity's" sake)

But, of course, I havent tried all that hard to find a do-it-all app since my system works so well for us. (Well, poorly, actually, but that's only because we have so many frikin pictures, but dating everything does make things easier to find.)

I tried using F-Spot but frankly, it is a joke of an app at this point. It is a *potentially* promising app taht has not yet come anywhere close to fulfilling its promise.

Gthumb is pretty good as an image viewer; I am not too confident i its *management* capabilities.

Digikam I have not used too much, and not in a long while.

Return to “Software & Applications”