VirtualBox Error

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

VirtualBox Error

Post by gibbs1984 »

Hopefully someone can help, I've got the following error when trying to run VirtualBox, anyone know what it means or how to fix it?

I believe I've got the DKMS packages installed.

Steve
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon) 64bit.
proxima_centauri

Re: VirtualBox Error

Post by proxima_centauri »

Are the virtualbox-modules installed?
did you reboot or modprobe vboxdrv after installation?

Post by Guest »

Hello proxima_centauri,

I want to thank you for posting your suggestion:

"did you reboot or modprobe vboxdrv after installation"

From the terminal as root using the modprobe vboxdrv command is the only way that I have been successful in using VirtualBox. I would like to know if there is a way that I can use VirtualBox without having to issue this command. Again, after a fresh login and opening VirtualBox I am constantly given the original error listed above:

VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED

Please know that I have installed the DKMS and Header packages. Naturally, my kernel is 2.6.27-7 generic. My LinuxMint OS is Version 6 Felicia and based on 32 byte. I thank you for your time and possible suggestions.

Best,

Matthew
Fred

Post by Fred »

gibbs1984,

Did you try recompiling the kernel module as suggested in the error pop-up?

In a terminal type:

sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup

Fred
matthewflint

Post by matthewflint »

Hello Fred,

I did run the script as the error code suggested and was given the following result:

* Usage: /etc/init.d/vboxdrv {start|stop|restart|status}

If I issue the following command:

sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv restart

I am given the following result:

* Stopping VirtualBox kernel module vboxdrv
* Cannot unload module vboxdrv.

Nonetheless, none of these suggestions have solved the issue of not having to reissue modprov vboxdriv after every fresh login to the operation system. I thank you for your ideas and comments.

Best,

Matthew
Fred

Post by Fred »

matthewflint,
* Cannot unload module vboxdrv.
The above is a problem. You must be able to load and unload the kernel module. You weren't trying to run Vbox at the time were you? Vbox needs to be completely shutdown to run this. Otherwise nothing jumps out at me. I'll have to give it some thought and get back to you.

Fred
matthewflint

Post by matthewflint »

Hello Fred,

You are right about me trying to run the script while VirtualBox was running. I shutdown VirtualBox and ran the script again. The following results were shown:

matthew@linuxmint ~ $ sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv restart
* Stopping VirtualBox kernel module vboxdrv [ OK ]
* Starting VirtualBox kernel module vboxdrv
* No suitable module for running kernel found.
matthew@linuxmint ~ $

Again, thanks for your help and assistance.

Best,

Matthew
Fred

Post by Fred »

Matthew,

Ok... What it is saying is it doesn't have, or can't find, an appropriate kernel module to compile for that kernel. What has been the sequence of events here? Has this Vbox installation ever worked? If so, have you upgraded the kernel since the Vbox installation?

Fred
matthewflint

Post by matthewflint »

Hello Fred,

The sequence of events are the following:

1.) Original installation of LinuxMint with Elyssa Version.
2.) Downloaded VirtualBox OSE, Modules (with generic version 17 or 19), Guest Source, and Guest Utilities.
3.) Fully functional installation of XP Windows (mainly used for investing software) - No problems whatsoever
4.) New clean installation of LinuxMint Felicia 6.0 RC1
5.) Downloaded all available packages for VirtualBox from Synaptic but wasn't able to locate the generic modules package for kernel 2.6.27-7-generic
6.) Wasn't able to start VirtualBox until coming across this thread in this forum which illustrated issuing the modprov command
7.) I'm able to use VirtualBox without any problems, but I have to always begin the application by issuing the modprov command as root from the terminal

I would like to be able to just login as a regular user and begin using VirtualBox like I previously did in Elyssa without having to issue commands in the terminal as root. Thank you.

Best,

Matthew
viking777

Post by viking777 »

I do use Virtualbox, and I may even be able to help out here, but something confuses me. The thread originator is 'gibbs 1984', the next post asking for advice comes from 'guest' and subsequent requests for information come from 'matthewflint'. Are you all the same person or are we dealing with two or even three different people that all have problems with Virtualbox? I only ask because if there are three different people they may have three different problems. I just like to know what I am up against before I start trying to help.
matthewflint

Post by matthewflint »

Hello viking777,

Today I signed up as a forum member and for the first post I was registered as a guest. I decided to keep my request focused in this thread because I was able to find the best solution (not the final solution) by reading proxima_centauri's suggestion of issuing modprov vboxdrv from the command terminal as root. I hope that this clears up your doubts in concerns to this thread. Thanks.

Matthew (matthewflint)
Fred

Post by Fred »

matthew,

Well... I prefer to use the non-free version of Vbox. First, I think the program is more polished and it supports usb. Also that package includes the kernel module and appropriate guest add-ons. I don't have to worry if a minor revision kernel update doesn't have the appropriate kernel module available yet, which sometimes happens and appears to be the case here, though I haven't cross checked you on that.

If you have no objections to running non-free software I would suggest you put the below repo line in your /etc/apt/sources.list file. You must use < gksu gedit /etc/apt/sources.list > in a terminal to edit this file.

deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian intrepid non-free

Then in a terminal do an:

apt-get update

and

apt-get -u install virtualbox-2.1

It will probably ask if you want to uninstall the ose version, I don't remember, but if it does answer yes. You will probably get a warning about the key but you can ignore this for the time being and go ahead and install.

This should fix your problem. As I said, I like this version better anyway.

Fred
Last edited by Fred on Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:56 am, edited 5 times in total.
matthewflint

Post by matthewflint »

Hello Fred,

Thanks for hanging in and giving me a hand. I just followed the steps that you suggested and now have a properly working installation of VirtualBox. All of the programs are naturally in tact and the non-free version was installed over the free version (I suppose). What a great community and I only hope to contribute in the near future! Until then, have a nice day!

Matthew
Fred

Post by Fred »

matthew,

You are welcome. Glad I was able to help. And I will return the wish for a successful and rewarding day. :-)

Fred
dga20081

Post by dga20081 »

I Fred,

Thanks for the suggestion. I did try to put it in application but i obtained the following message:

Code: Select all

Hit http://packages.linuxmint.com felicia/import Packages                      
Fetched 7975B in 0s (8968B/s)
Reading package lists... Done
W: GPG error: http://download.virtualbox.org intrepid Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY DCF9F87B6DFBCBAE
W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems
Any idea how to optail "public key" and how to use it ?

Regards,

Didier.
Fred wrote:matthew,

Well... I prefer to use the non-free version of Vbox. First, I think the program is more polished and it supports usb. Also that package includes the kernel module and appropriate guest add-ons. I don't have to worry if a minor revision kernel update doesn't have the appropriate kernel module available yet, which sometimes happens and appears to be the case here, though I haven't cross checked you on that.

If you have no objections to running non-free software I would suggest you put the below repo line in your /etc/apt/sources.list file. You must use < gksu gedit /etc/apt/sources.list > in a terminal to edit this file.

apt-get update

and

apt-get -u install virtualbox-2.0

It will probably ask if you want to uninstall the ose version, I don't remember, but if it does answer yes.

Fred
dga20081

Post by dga20081 »

Hi everybody,

I finally foud the solution by myself ;-) (i'm proud)...
For those that would have the same question: go at http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads
You can download the public key file in your folder then type:

sudo apt-key add sun_vbox.asc
And finally type :

sudo apt-get update
You can then proceed as suggested...

Didier.
dga20081 wrote:I Fred,

Thanks for the suggestion. I did try to put it in application but i obtained the following message:

Hit http://packages.linuxmint.com felicia/import Packages                      
Fetched 7975B in 0s (8968B/s)
Reading package lists... Done
W: GPG error: http://download.virtualbox.org intrepid Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY DCF9F87B6DFBCBAE
W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems
Any idea how to optail "public key" and how to use it ?

Regards,

Didier.
Fred wrote:matthew,

apt-get update

and

apt-get -u install virtualbox-2.0

It will probably ask if you want to uninstall the ose version, I don't remember, but if it does answer yes.

Fred
Fred

Post by Fred »

dga20081,

Just about to post, but glad you worked it out on your own. :-)

Fred
rdonnelly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rdonnelly »

Ok, so I have vbox installed on Felicia with XP, I would like to use the external USB drive to back up data files. The VM does not have USB support. How do I enable this?

Thanks Bob
Using Mint since 2008
*Mint 18.2 KDE
*ASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA AM3+ AMD 970 + SB 950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1
*AMD FX-8370 with AMD Wraith cooler Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz (4.3 GHz Turbo)
*G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 SDRAM
*nVIDIA GEFORCE GT 610 2GB
rdonnelly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rdonnelly »

Forget it. I figured it out, right here:http://eyereex.eryell.com/?p=132

Thanks again Fred.
Using Mint since 2008
*Mint 18.2 KDE
*ASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA AM3+ AMD 970 + SB 950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1
*AMD FX-8370 with AMD Wraith cooler Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz (4.3 GHz Turbo)
*G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 SDRAM
*nVIDIA GEFORCE GT 610 2GB
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

Fred wrote:gibbs1984,

Did you try recompiling the kernel module as suggested in the error pop-up?

In a terminal type:

sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup

Fred
Hi,

First off, apologies for my very late response to this thread that I started (been a very busy time at work and Linux was the last thing on my mind).

I've tried running the command in the Terminal as suggested and get the same error message as matthewflint:

steve@steve-desktop ~ $ sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
[sudo] password for steve:
* Usage: /etc/init.d/vboxdrv {start|stop|restart|status}
steve@steve-desktop ~ $ sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv start
steve@steve-desktop ~ $ sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv restart
* Stopping VirtualBox kernel module vboxdrv [ OK ]
steve@steve-desktop ~ $

I've tried the other solutions in this thread but nothing seems to work, I'm assuming by what it's said is that no kernel module is installed? How do I go about installing it?

My sequence of events is pretty similar to others as well:

I'm running Linux Mint 6 Felicia - Main Edition.
Downloaded VirtualBox 2.0.4 from mintInstall (didn't download anything else, should I have?).
Entered all the information in VirtualBox by following a tutorial, everything is fine until I press Start so that I can install Windows Vista (I have a legitimate copy of Vista on disc) and this is when I get this error.

Hopefully you can help.

Steve
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon) 64bit.

Return to “Software & Applications”