Firestarter firewall question

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JohnH
Level 4
Level 4

Firestarter firewall question

Post by JohnH »

Hi folks,

I have installed and configured Firestarter on my laptop. I would like some knowledgeable person to please let me know if my thinking is correct.Here is what I have understood the situation to be:

I have been assuming that after configuring my firewall with Firestarter, I don't need to intentionally restart it every time I boot the computer; my understanding (my guess really) is that Firestarter sets the ip tables (i.e. the configuration) and once done they remain done until otherwise changed. Therefore there is no need to restart Firestarter unless I need to change the ip tables again. Am I correct?

If I am correct then I will stop worrying.If I'm wrong then I will look for a way to auto-start it.

Regards
John
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Firestarter firewall question

Post by 900i »

Correct, it just configures IPTables. At least thats how I understand it, as I have not got Firestarter installed.
Desktop Core i7 Linux Mint 21.1 / Laptop Dell Precision M6400 Linux Mint 21.1
Fred

Post by Fred »

JohnH,

Take a look at my post in the below thread. Maybe that will clarify things a bit.

http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... 90&t=10780

Fred
micder
Level 1
Level 1

Post by micder »

If you like to see if it's up:

Code: Select all

xxxx@mint:~$ ps aux |grep firestarter
xxxx      7096  0.0  0.0   2992   776 pts/0    S+   19:14   0:00 grep firestarter
cheers
Husse

Post by Husse »

@ micder
Someone asking if Firestarter needs to run for IPtables to work is not likely to get anything out of your post :)
On a sidenote - I've tried to edit IPtables directly and it was more than a wonder that the computer did not find it's way out of the window (I talk of the thing with glass in the walls of your house :))
Seriously it's extremely hard to edit.....
Fred

Post by Fred »

micder,

I have a much easier way to see if it is running. Look on the screen or in the application tray. It is a GUI application. Unless you have purposely changed the defaults, it doesn't run unseen.

If you had read my post in the thread I provided, you would have know that it didn't need to run to have the Linux port controls, ie iptables/Linux firewall, active. :-)

Enjoy life, it is too short to do otherwise.

Fred
JohnH
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JohnH »

Thank you one and all,

So it seems my hunch was correct. Ip tables remain static and Firestarter does not need to be started everytime I boot; only to change my settings.

thank you,

John
Fred

Post by Fred »

JohnH

You are welcome kind sir. And yes, your hunch was indeed correct. :-)

Fred
caris_mere

Post by caris_mere »

Fred wrote:micder,

I have a much easier way to see if it is running. Look on the screen or in the application tray. It is a GUI application. Unless you have purposely changed the defaults, it doesn't run unseen.

If you had read my post in the thread I provided, you would have know that it didn't need to run to have the Linux port controls, ie iptables/Linux firewall, active. :-)

Enjoy life, it is too short to do otherwise.

Fred
I am using firestarter. I followed the instructions from their site about having it start automatically. When I look in my open sessions, it shows it to be running. However, the system tray icon doesn't show up. Any ideas why? I'm running 4.0.

Scott
Fred

Post by Fred »

caris_mere,

Firestarter has some data gathering features, check the web site. In order for them to work, the data gathering routine of firestarter has to be running in the back ground. The firewall, or iptables itself, always runs, it is part of the ports infrastructure. The configuration GUI doesn't need to run unless you are setting the port rules. The data gathering doesn't need to run unless you just want to log the many thousands of attempts to probe your computer ports.

Hope that helps some.

Fred
rhvkl

Post by rhvkl »

Fred wrote:micder,
Fred

... well it's in the tray for some minutes up to some hours but after a while it's gone?

Return to “Software & Applications”