I think I have a problem with mint update

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TW

I think I have a problem with mint update

Post by TW »

Hi

Mint update has shown that there have been no updates for about 2 weeks now so i think somethin might be wrong? If i don't click on the icon to open it it shows the open lock icon after a while and if you hover over it says there are 39 updates. however, when i then click it, enter the password and let it scan it says the system is up to date!

What's going on?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: I think I have a problem with mint update

Post by Husse »

Have you clicked refresh in the open mintUpdate - sometimes that's necessary
TW

Post by TW »

Hi, yes i have clicked refresh and no updates appear
Husse

Post by Husse »

I think this is for Clem to answer....
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Which version of mintUpdate are you using? Also, can you provide the logs for mintUpdate? (right click in the panel and click "Information").

Clem
TW

Post by TW »

hi - i'm not sure which version it is - how do i find that?

This is what the log says:

"* Launching mintUpdate in root mode
starting refresh
auto-refresh timer is going to sleep for 0 minutes, 1 hours and 0 days
system is up to date
refresh finished
starting refresh
system is up to date
refresh finished"

Just checked again and it said 41 updates so i opened it, entered password and did refresh and now it says none again!
Husse

Post by Husse »

i'm not sure which version it is - how do i find that?
Oops - I can't find it either.....
JpBя
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JpBя »

I'm having a similar problem. Mine often says it is up to date, when there are really many updates available. I have another computer running the same version (2.3), and it doesn't have this problem. On a separate note, both systems will often allow me to update without authenticating even after hours of inactivity. I've attached a screenshot showing what it looks like if I refresh mintupdate, then open synaptic and look at updates.
Screenshot2.png
WoodCAT
Level 1
Level 1

Post by WoodCAT »

Same problem here. i'm running v 2.3 from romeo daryna repository. When I start mint, it is first searching, then it shows 'open lock' icon and says "updates are ready', but when I open it to see what updates they are, nothing is there.
I tried to play with safe levels settings, but no difference.
nothing in log either

* Launching mintUpdate in root mode
starting refresh
auto-refresh timer is going to sleep for 30 minutes, 0 hours and 0 days
system is up to date
refresh finished
starting refresh
system is up to date
GoustiFruit
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GoustiFruit »

I have the same problem: on startup it always tells me that my system is up to date. But if I manually refresh, it often finds some updates to do.
WoodCAT
Level 1
Level 1

Post by WoodCAT »

Just in case people still have this problem, I fixed it.
I've noticed that synaptic can't reach the Exaile repository. After I removed it from sources.list and refreshed mintUpdate. MintUpdate works fine again. Looks like it can't deal with repos which no longer exist. Bug maybe?
Hope this works for you

Rich.
Paul_Vandenberg
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Paul_Vandenberg »

What's the Exaile repository?
WoodCAT
Level 1
Level 1

Post by WoodCAT »

http://www.google.ca/search?q=Exaile+repository :wink:

Repository, which I used to install Exaile player. The link I used is expired now.
http://www.exaile.org/ as good as Amarok, but lighter. IMO
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

I'll look into that and hopefully come with a fix soon on this. Even without buggy repositories I noticed mintUpdate sometimes doesn't show updates when first clicked on (even though it found some updates before clicking on it). As for the credentials not being asked after hours of usage.. it's in root mode after you've clicked on it and still running so it doesn't need any further authorization, that's how it is by design (not a fault).

That refresh problem is annoying but not critical. If you manually click refresh it should find the updates again. Of course we should have that fixed nonetheless before Elyssa comes out.

Clem

Post by Guest »

JpBя wrote:I'm having a similar problem. Mine often says it is up to date, when there are really many updates available. I have another computer running the same version (2.3), and it doesn't have this problem. On a separate note, both systems will often allow me to update without authenticating even after hours of inactivity. I've attached a screenshot showing what it looks like if I refresh mintupdate, then open synaptic and look at updates.
Screenshot2.png

I like your dekstop screenshot!
Foomandoonian

Post by Foomandoonian »

I actually seem to have the opposite problem! I get the unlocked padlock, which at the moment tells me there are 15 updates available. However when I launch mintUpdate I see no packages. It says 'could not refresh the list of packages'.

I'm wondering if this is because I had to reconfigure apt recently?
WoodCAT
Level 1
Level 1

Post by WoodCAT »

Clem,
I tried hitting refresh many times, but it still showed no updates. When I clicked on the open lock icon and mintUpdate opened, it was refreshing, then the icon changed to closed lock with no updates available. When I remove the nonexistent repository link, it works as normal. Which is fine with me. :) The feature I miss is "Lock version" like in synaptic. :wink:

Rich.
JpBя
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JpBя »

I second the thought about an option to lock the version. I recompiled K3B to fix the bug in transcoding dvds, and I have to deselect the "update" (even though it's the same version number) for the version from the repositories every time. The package is pinned, but it still shows up. I don't know what would happen if I allowed the update, but I don't want to risk it. Of course this does let me know when a broken repository is keeping me from seeing updates, since that's the only time it says I'm up to date! :D
Foomandoonian

Post by Foomandoonian »

Has there been any fix for this yet? The last few comments don't mean much to me, and I have 22 updates that I can't seem to download! I'm starting to get a bit uncomfortable.

Return to “Software & Applications”