Add ATA Raid as non-boot disk

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Add ATA Raid as non-boot disk

Post by Boo »

1. sounds like a bios problem, it may think the setup keeps changing and asks you to confirm/check it.
2. I have not checked out your raid controller but if it is a true hardware RAID controler you should have no problems.
if it is a fake RAID controler (eg intel ICH? series) then you are better off setting the disks up with the software RAID in linux.
you may have to install the ubuntu server kernel too.
3.the scsi drive should be large enough for your OS and apps as long as your data is on the other disks.
use a server partiton setup on it and you should be fine. eg 2G swap, 4G /, 2G /tmp, 4G /var, and some left over to redistribute or make another partiton.
/home partition could be on your 18G drive or your RAID disks.

Boo
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Add ATA Raid as non-boot disk

Post by Boo »

to set software raid up in mint first install your system the the scsi 18G drive.
manual partition it with a server like partitioning.
leave the other disks to setup software raid later.
once mint is installed you can use synaptic to install the server kernel. but it may not be needed.
you cant install ubuntu server and mint.
you could install ubuntu server to fully configure all your disks and raid. then you install mint over the server setup on the main disk and mount the RAID disks after the install.

I have seen systems with lots of disks getting confused about which one is the boot disk and partiton.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!

Return to “Installation & Boot”