Get usplash back if it disappears "halfways" into boot

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Get usplash back if it disappears "halfways" into boot

Post by Husse »

There are a quite a few questions about this and I have had the problem myself for quite some time now
This is a solution for if you see the Mint logo and the back and forth going "thingy" but it disappears and you see text, the first line being
Reading files needed to boot
You also probably have problems with the "sleep states" of your computer - the system will go into hibernate normally, but would never boot back to where it was.
This is an UUID problem - for more info on the pros and cons of UUID see
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... _a_problem and
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... annot_boot
Please make a backup of your system first if at all possible
This is because the UUID of the swap partition no longer is correct in initramfs
Surprisingly small changes can make the UUID change
Run

Code: Select all

sudo blkid
Compare the UUID "numbers" you get with all UUID used in fstab (and menu.lst if you do not use gfxgrub) just to be on the safe side when you're at it - it's not part of the solution (except possibly swap)
Change initramfs

gksu gedit /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume
You probably have a different UUID there than from blkid - copy the correct UUID - watch out for the " in terminal
You need to have initramfs-tools installed and they are by default in Elyssa
Update the initramfs.

sudo update-initramfs -u
In the next reboot usplash will be back in it's full glory and hibernate should work
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zombie
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Get usplash back if it disappears "halfways" into boot

Post by zombie »

Thanks! This fixed my system :)
One comment tho...
The command:

sudo update-initramfs -u
only updated the initramfs for one kernel (a virtual one). To make it update the initramfs for the generic kernel, I had to use the "-k" option, and specify the kernel name.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Unless I read this entirely wrong it's nonsense
The UUID for a partition is calculated with blkid also by Linux and if something changed the UUID for swap it is changed (of course :)) and you cant use the old UUID
If it worked for you the UUID had not changed and the cause of your problem was something else. When you "shook up" the system that fixed it.
bob-mint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bob-mint »

I had the same problem when I made some changes in my hard drive partitions.
I tried the first solution (Husse) but it didn't work for me.
I tried what CJS has done, bringing back the former swap UID and it worked! Despite of what Husse said.
There must be somewhere else in the filesystem where the swap UID is stored, so changing it only on the "resume" file does not work.
Thanks a lot CJS for this great idea! I didn't know it was possible to get back to former swap UID.
I would only add to your comment to update the initramfs, after changing back the swap UUID:
sudo update-initramfs -u
Intel NUC D54250WYK (Haswell) Core i5-4250U, Dual-Core, 1.3 GHz
oboedad55

Re: How to do it with the Live DVD

Post by oboedad55 »

humaneasy wrote:I did what husse said after re-formating swap to have a correct UUID for it.

Follow up at http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=28670
All things being equal, other than esthetically, is there any indication something is "wrong" is the splash drops out? Mine does, but there is nothing wrong with the system.

Peace,
Husse

Post by Husse »

Edit - I did not answer the question asked, but answered why the splash has the wrong size
I hope it does not on Gloria - we deliberately used a pitch black background to avoid this
It's purely aesthetic
Welcome to Mint
oboedad55

Post by oboedad55 »

Husse wrote:I hope it does not on Gloria - we deliberately used a pitch black background to avoid this
It's purely aesthetic
Welcome to Mint
Good to hear, kind what I figured. That being said, any idea why it would suddenly start dropping the splash screen? I have changed not a thing.

Thanks,
Jon
Husse

Post by Husse »

Sorry I must be too tired
I answered the question why the size of the usplash is wrong, not when it disappears during boot
This is mostly aesthetic but also some function
You can't hibernate if it's this error
And I still don't understand why the solution by CJS works - I probably read the post wrong :)
oboedad55

Post by oboedad55 »

Husse wrote:Sorry I must be too tired
I answered the question why the size of the usplash is wrong, not when it disappears during boot
This is mostly aesthetic but also some function
You can't hibernate if it's this error
And I still don't understand why the solution by CJS works - I probably read the post wrong :)
No problem. What causes the "error", if indeed it is an error. I edited my fstab and menu.lst to rid myself of the UUID business which seems unnecessary. If it's really required to identify my drives with UUID just to get a splash screen, then I don't see the point.
I have an ancient desktop P4. I'm happy it works, I couldn't care less about hibernation or any other fancy stuff like that.

Cheers,
RichardH

Post by RichardH »

I hadn't noticed that the splash disappearing was an "error" until I saw this thread.
I liked it and prefer splash off. Guess I need to look for how to really turn it off. :)

This occurred because I installed another distro on another partition which formatted swap and I installed grub to MBR and am now using the other distro grub to boot into Mint via (savedefault). I corrected the UUID of the partition that the test distro is on and the pause requiring Ctrl-D to continue went away. The question is why? Since the swap UUID had changed it should continue to halt and require Ctrl-D to continue?

I have another test partition. Guess I need to review all the fstabs and UUIDs in all test parts as well as Mint.
Is this a kernel error? Has it been corrected? Could it cause other problems?

[Edit: I corrected the UUID of swap but still get the same action Husse described at the top of this thread re the splash.]

[A note: the other partition is AntiX which does not use UUIDs in menu.lst. I added the Mint boot stanza to the AntiX menu.lst. Maybe if I use chainloader instead of the actual stanza it might work as "designed"? Curious.]
libssd
Level 4
Level 4

Post by libssd »

oboedad55 wrote:All things being equal, other than esthetically, is there any indication something is "wrong" is the splash drops out? Mine does, but there is nothing wrong with the system.

Peace,
I'm 99% sure this is a Plymouth bug, related to video driver mismatch. Description and extensive discussion of a similar problem in Maverick here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/609044

While trying to change the boot image for Ubuntu, I spent perhaps 6 hours yesterday screwing around with various config options without success; got so lost in my changes that I restored the entire system from a recent backup.

My boot sequence is: black screen, Mint or Ubuntu splash image, black screen briefly, then smaller version of splash image (i.e., higher resolution) offset up and to the left until the desktop appears. Identical behavior in Isadora/Lucid. After wrestling with this for several weeks, I have given up; it's cosmetic.
casey972oo

Post by casey972oo »

libssd wrote:
oboedad55 wrote:All things being equal, other than esthetically, is there any indication something is "wrong" is the splash drops out? Mine does, but there is nothing wrong with the system.

Peace,
I'm 99% sure this is a Plymouth bug, related to video driver mismatch. Description and extensive discussion of a similar problem in Maverick here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/609044

While trying to change the boot image for Ubuntu, I spent perhaps 6 hours yesterday screwing around with various config options without success; got so lost in my changes that I restored the entire system from a recent backup.

My boot sequence is: black screen, Mint or Ubuntu splash image, black screen briefly, then smaller version of splash image (i.e., higher resolution) offset up and to the left until the desktop appears. Identical behavior in Isadora/Lucid. After wrestling with this for several weeks, I have given up; it's cosmetic.
Hi there ! ...

when I read this ... about the changing of ' usplash ' ... for ' Ubuntu ' ...
I will tell you about my experience with this ' problem ' ... when ' usplash ' disapeared ! ...

It was on a smal ' TOSHIBA NB1oo ' ... installed ' Ubuntu Netbook Remix o8.o4 (Hardy Heron) ' ! ...
for some reason ... I don't know ... the ' system-bootup ' stoped halfway ... booting into .. ' input/output-mode ' ... with prompt blincking ! ...

this time ... I was a ' bloody greenhorn ' ... a ' newbie ' ! ...
and a friend of mine gave me the command ... ' startx ' ... for the boot in .. ' graphic-mode ' ! ...
once back on the screen ... I were looking ... for some resolution ... to fix this problem with ' usplash ' ! ...

finaly ... instinctifly ! ... I went for install ... ' usplash-debian ' ... with ' synaptic-package-manager ' ! ... and B I N G O ! ...

from this on ... ' Ubuntu Netbook Remix o8.o4 (Hardy Heron) ' ... did start with the ' Debian-Logo ' ! ... like ... ' Debian Netbook Remix o8.o4 (Hardy Heron) ' ! ...

that's it ! ... simple like that ! ... I think ... it's possible to create your own ... ' splash-image ' ... and replace just this file ! ... (with the same name) ! ...

Return to “Installation & Boot”