Boots into the wrong Linux distribution

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
metalf8801

Boots into the wrong Linux distribution

Post by metalf8801 »

I have Linux Mint 5 Elyssa r1, Ubuntu Studio 8.04.1, and Windows XP installed on different hard drives on my computer. Sometimes when I try to boot Linux Mint it goes just fine but other time it looks like its booting into mint until it gets to the log in screen for Ubuntu Studio.

Has anything like this happened to anyone else?
Is there anything I can do other then disconcerting the drive with Ubuntu Studio on it when I want to boot Linux Mint?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Boots into the wrong Linux distribution

Post by lakehousetech »

Sounds odd. Why not just use Mint? You can probably install the same packages from Ubuntu Studio on it if you want anyway....
rbanavara

Re: Boots into the wrong Linux distribution

Post by rbanavara »

Just make sure you specify the boot lines in menu.lst properly (or if you are specifying on the fly). I had a similar experience... I had kde mint & daryna & at time KDE flash screen would boot into Daryna. Later I realized during my partition re-organization, the partition number had changed & while updating it, I had missed at few places causing this mix up:

title Linux Mint, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic (recovery mode) (on /dev/sda13)
root (hd0,12)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=/dev/sda14 ro single

Return to “Installation & Boot”