Dual Booting using Windows XP Boot Loader

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Re: Boot Linux from windows

Post by Husse »

/dev/hda23
??
A warning - you can't change this setup to SATA. There the max number of partitions is 15
The method seems to me to be a bit elaborated.... :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fred

Re: Dual Booting using Windows XP Boot Loader

Post by Fred »

catmother,

You could use a dedicated boot partition, I prefer grub, to hide partitions and boot all but the Windows install. The Windows boot loader could hand off to the grub partition and you could select the other installs from there.

The problem I see with the whole thing though is why go through all the gymnastics just to use some part of the Windows boot loader? I see it is an academic exercise with little practical value. But maybe I am missing something. :-)

Fred
Fred

Post by Fred »

catmother,

You might know that as soon as I said I didn't see much of a practical application for this, I would run across a situation where this might be useful. :-)

In the thread below your suggestion of booting from the Windows boot loader may be the best solution and just what the doctor ordered. :-)

http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... 46&t=11709

It would be nice if you could drop-in and share a solution to his problem with him.

Fred
Ookami

Post by Ookami »

Well, every time I install any distro of Linux (I distro hop a lot) the Windows partition appears on the menu automatically and boots fine.

I didn't know there were problems with using GRUB.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

Most distributions detect a Windows partition fine and add an entry for that in GRUB, but some has issues detecting other Linux installations, for some reason. But using the XP bootloader could be useful for people who want to keep a recovery partition or similar, as they usually rely on the XP bootloader to function properly.
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
Husse

Post by Husse »

And I can see the use for people with Toshiba laptops as it has been reported that the BIOS detects if the MBR has been changed and change it back so nothing but Vista can boot

Return to “Installation & Boot”