Howto install VirtualBox on Mint

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
leo5111
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Howto install VirtualBox on Mint

Post by leo5111 »

i got virtual box installed and i shared my ntfs folders i got em read and writeable in mint i installed xp how do i make em show up in xp???? EDIT i dont get what you mean here...To enable some neat features like seamless mode, mouse follow mode and folder sharing you have to install the Guest Additions into your system.

So start up your machine. When it comes up click on Devices -> Unmount CD/DVD ROM (if there is anything).
Then Devices -> Install Guest Additions. This will insert a CD with the installer into the machine. lets say im running virtual box on mint want to install xp which is done how do i make the folders i selected in mint show up in xp?? thanx
leo5111
Level 4
Level 4

Post by leo5111 »

thank you you guys are god! now how do i with mint set my 2 sata drives to auto mount instead of having to manual remount everytime?? EDIT i get bsod everytime i try to add my videos to my list in windows media player 11 EDIT AGAIN oh thank you lord bumped base memory to 512 that was it
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

Thanks for the Shared Folders tip. Now just got to get USB working, in Non open source edition.
Desktop Core i7 Linux Mint 21.1 / Laptop Dell Precision M6400 Linux Mint 21.1
jamessp007

Post by jamessp007 »

VirtualBox non-free/non-ose has USB support. This is a critical feature for some.
harper

Post by harper »

I want to confirm something. I am installing virtualbox and when you get to the step to create the virtual HD it defaults to 20gb. I don't have that much free space on my HDD total...let alone in one partition.

From reading around it seems a virtual drive still takes up the same amount of space right? If not could you sort me out on exactly how it works? I don't want to screw this up.

Also which partition will it create the virtual drive in? I have 3....Vista, Mint and Storage. I don't see any option to choose where to create this virtual ive.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

You can change that default for the size you want, for a Mint install 4GB is enough but you don't have much space left after the install.

You can chose between a disk that takes all the size from the beginning or a disk that grows as you write stuff to the disk. You can also change where you keep the disk, you have to change the location of the new file or copy and old disk to where you want.
harper

Post by harper »

I am not following. For a MINT install 4gb is enough for what? I am installing virtualbox in MINT 10.....are you saying you only need to make the virtual drive within virtualbox 4gb instead of the 20gb default? I am also not seeing any option as to where the virtual drive will be created.

And I understand that a dynamic virtual drive is the better choice.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

You are installing Virtualbox for what? You didn't say so I told you as an example the amount necessary for a Mint install inside a VM in Virtualbox. If you go for a linux in live mode you don't need a virtual HD.

I am using VB 4.0.8 on Mint 9 LTS and there is a option to chose where you want your virtual HD but when you create it it's very small so you can easily move it to the place you want, Check the hidden folder .VirtualBox/HardDisks on the user home.

If you want to save space dynamic is better as you start with a very small file but it grows as you copy data to the drive.
harper

Post by harper »

I am installing it to run Rosetta Stone in Mint 10 without booting back over into Vista. I will use Vista as the guest OS in virtualbox if I understand correctly how it works. Stil not seeing where I can choose where to create the virtual drive. I don't know if it will create it in the MINT partition (only have about 6gb left there) by default or what.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

Vista needs more than 4GB as the guest OS.

Go to the .VirtualBox/HardDisks folder in your home folder, if you create a disk without choosing other location it's there. You can copy, move or delete the disk, just update the location of the disk in the disk controller.
harper wrote:I don't know if it will create it in the MINT partition (only have about 6gb left there) by default or what.
By default it will create in the hidden folder .VirtualBox/HardDisks on your user home.
harper

Post by harper »

nunol wrote:Vista needs more than 4GB as the guest OS.

Go to the .VirtualBox/HardDisks folder in your home folder, if you create a disk without choosing other location it's there. You can copy, move or delete the disk, just update the location of the disk in the disk controller.
Do you know how much it needs? Also if I am understanding you I can move the folder into my "storage" partition where I have more space. How do I update the location in the disk controller?
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

If it works with Win XP it's better, 4GB for the OS is enough but for Vista I don't know, more than 15GB I think...

Go to the storage settings, add a new HD (remove older entry), chose a existing disk, browse partitions/folders for it.
harper

Post by harper »

nunol wrote:If it works with Win XP it's better, 4GB for the OS is enough but for Vista I don't know, more than 15GB I think...

Go to the storage settings, add a new HD (remove older entry), chose a existing disk, browse partitions/folders for it.
I am sorry but I do not understand where I am supposed to change the settings...

Also I do have an older copy of XP but not sure I have the codes etc. I have Vista installed dual boot so was going to use it. Maybe I am not understanding how virtualbox works but I need to have a copy of the OS I want to use as a guest either installed already or on disc right?
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

Usually you install the guest OS from a ISO file, a CD/DVD or you use an already made virtual machine (VM).

You have to have Virtualbox installed and you need to create a Virtual Machine inside, then you have to click on the machine to select the machine and click on settings and now chose storage settings.

Notice (at 0:49) next to the name of the Virtual HD there is a folder icon? Press there to create the virtual HD on another partition/folder.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8kSqyBs ... re=related
harper

Post by harper »

Thanks
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

No problem, if you have more questions just ask.

Return to “Tutorials”