Howto: Install OpenOffice 3 in Felicia

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
evilmrb
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Howto: Install OpenOffice 3 in Felicia

Post by evilmrb »

Thanks exploder, you were dead right. My OpenOffice 3.0 is working a treat now. I really appreciate your help and thanks for replying so quickly.

Mark B
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

My pleasure! Glad I could be of help.
arta

Post by arta »

I added the following repo,
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/openoffice-pkgs/ubuntu intrepid main

and I get the following error.
W: GPG error: http://ppa.launchpad.net intrepid Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 60D11217247D1CFF

How do I correct this?

thanks

arta
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

You would be better off using the method I mentioned to get OpenOffice, it is currently at version 3.01 and it will give you the ability for future updates directly from Sun. The error you are getting does not hurt anything though. You can just un-check that repo after the install to get rid of that message.
garda

Post by garda »

Arta,

The error message you see is caused by invalid PGP key (because the content on the PPA server has changed, probably an update has been uploaded). All you have to do is retrieve the key then add it to your apt trusted keyring. You can do this by entering these commands:

Code: Select all

gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-key [KEY_ID]
Since the error message tells you that the missing KEY_ID is 60D11217247D1CFF, the exact command you have to enter is as follows:

gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-key 60D11217247D1CFF
That will tell gpg to retrieve the key from keyserver.ubuntu.com. Now you can export the key and save it to a file, in case you need to add it on another installation:

gpg --export --armor 60D11217247D1CFF > ooo.pgp
Your newly retrieved PGP is now saved to a file called ooo.pgp in your home directory. Then add the key to your trusted keyring using this command:

sudo apt-key add ooo.pgp
Last thing you will have to do is refresh apt's package information:

sudo apt-get update
Done.
arta

Post by arta »

Thanks for the help. I dl'd the deb from Sun and did it the old fashion way, dpkg -i.

arta
schizoid

Post by schizoid »

i followed the instruction in the original post and when i run open office it still says 2.4 on the splash screen

i read further up that someone else had the same thing but that 3.0 was installed
would this be the case for me

thanks
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Possibly, look in Synaptic to see what version you have installed.
schizoid

Post by schizoid »

there's about a million packages there
and none of them say 3.0 take it it didn't work then
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Just type OpenOffice in Search and you will find a version number.
schizoid

Post by schizoid »

oh yeah i was looking in the wrong place :oops:
thanks exploder
and to the OP for this how to guide
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

schizoid, glad you got this sorted out!
mipcar

Post by mipcar »

Just did the easy install. I like easy,ok so I'm lazy, guilty :roll: . Anyway seems to have worked fine. Loaded the open Office, got the new splash. Did not try to do anything on it but seems to be okay. Total time to install < 2 mins.. Brilliant.

Mychael
Evin

Post by Evin »

I am new to ubuntu, so bear with me :). I am got OpenOffice 3 to show up in the package manager, but when I go to install I get the following errors.

The following packages have unresolvable dependencies.
Make sure all the required repositories are added and enabled
in the preferences.

openoffice.org:
 Depends: openoffice.org-core but it is not going to be installed
 Depends: openoffice.org-writer but it is not going to be installed
 Depends: openoffice.org-calc but it is not going to be installed
 Depends: openoffice.org-impress but it is not going to be installed
 Depends: openoffice.org-draw but it is not going to be installed
 Depends: openoffice.org-math but it is not going to be installed
 Depends: openoffice.org-base but it is not going to be installed
 Depends: openoffice.org-report-builder-bin but it is not going to be installed
 Depends: openoffice.org-officebean but it is not going to be installed
 Depends: openoffice.org-writer2latex but it is not going to be installed
 Depends: openoffice.org-filter-mobiledev but it is not going to be installed
 Depends: liblucene2-java but it is not going to be installed
 Depends: openoffice.org-java-common but it is not going to be installed
Evin

Post by Evin »

Thanks for the reply, but I was using Synaptic package manager and do not have openoffice installed. I am going to try the apt-get method and see what happens. This is just weird to me as everyone else in the thread seems to have went find on the install once they got it recognized in Synaptic.

Update. It appears my problem is with liblucene2-java as it wants a version >= 2.3.2, but I only have 2.2.0 available to install. Also it is looking for openoffice.org-java-common > 2.2.0-4 which I do have in the repositories, but when I try to manually install that it wants libsaxonb-java, but that isn't in my repositories. I do have libsaxon-java available that I might try instead to see what happens. But until I can get a newer version of liblucene2 available I am going to be stuck.
solar1951
Level 4
Level 4

Post by solar1951 »

Hi, just installed oOo3 on Elyssa to see whats new and the fonts are so bad - mentioned in an earlier post.
Has anyone a solution otherwise I'm going back to 2.4
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

solar1951, did you install from the ppa repo or directly from Sun? I have OpenOffice 3.01 installed in Elyssa and the fonts look fine. I am using the official Sun released debs.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Now that Lenny has been officially released, it shouldn't be long before 3.0 is moved from experimental to sid. Shortly after that I would expect to see it in the Ubuntu repos.

Fred
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

The debs that Sun provided work just fine for me in Elyssa and I do not have to wait around for Ubuntu to package anything. The instructions I used to install 3.0.1 are listed below.

How To: Install OpenOffice 3.0.1

Firstly, go to the OpenOffice website: http://download.openoffice.org/other.html#en-US and download the Linux .deb file.

Once you have done that, extract the .deb file, OOo_3.0.1_LinuxIntel_install_en-US_deb.tar.gz then you'll see a file called OOO300_m15_native_packed-1_en-US.9379

You can remove the existing version of OpenOffice if you wish with this command: sudo apt-get remove openoffice*.*

Copy and paste OOO300_m15_native_packed-1_en-US.9379 onto the desktop then open Terminal and paste this command: sudo dpkg -i ~/Desktop/OOO300_m15_native_packed-1_en-US.9379/DEBS/*.deb

Then paste this command: sudo dpkg -i ~/Desktop/OOO300_m15_native_packed-1_en-US.9379/DEBS/desktop-integration/openoffice.org3.0-debian-menus_3.0-9376_all.deb

Once you've done that you'll find OpenOffice 3.0.1 in Office

I did have a minor glitch the first time I started OpenOffice, (The OpenOffice welcome screen came up one time.) I have had no problems of any kind since.
solar1951
Level 4
Level 4

Post by solar1951 »

exploder wrote:solar1951, did you install from the ppa repo or directly from Sun? I have OpenOffice 3.01 installed in Elyssa and the fonts look fine. I am using the official Sun released debs.
Hi exploder,
Yes I used the Sun provided oOo 3.01.
Have now gone back to 2.4 as I dont need any of the "improvements". I read a couple of places that people found oOo3 loaded quicker than oOo2.4, but this wasn't the case on my box either.
No problem, just sticking to whats OK for me.

Return to “Tutorials”