How to: Hotmail through Evolution

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Re: How to: Hotmail through Evolution

Post by antiquexray »

mumbo719 wrote:Make sure your system is up to date, Open Terminal and type...

Enjoy
THANKS. I've been wondering how to do that.
v4mpiro
Level 1
Level 1

Post by v4mpiro »

thanks for the howto! i have a question: does this method leave messages on the server or download them on my hard disk? because some time ago, i used hotpop (or popmail, or something like this) with thunderbird and that erased my messages on the hotmail server. i don't want that! thanks
Rainmaker
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rainmaker »

Great stuff, thanks! :) Just one question though:

How do you make a new mail folder in Evolution? I don't just mean a new folder (File>New>Folder), but an actual new mail folder complete with it's own inbox, drafts, etc etc.

I already have had to put my domain_name.com and GMail accounts into the one inbox in Evolution - if I add Hotmail into that same inbox also I'm going to start having problems!

Is it possible to have a new set of folders as in Outlook, to keep my accounts seperate? Many thanks in advance.
Rainmaker
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rainmaker »

fede wrote:Hello,

I believe the way to do that is to create a "filter" or a "rule" - I don't know how evolution calls them, I'm currently using Kontact in KDE - to move all messages received from a certain account (where you specify gmail, yahoo, etc) to a different folder; this folder is a normal folder which you create from File>New>Folder.
Ah I see! Great stuff, thanks so much for taking time to reply. I'm off to have a play around with that now :)
Rainmaker
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rainmaker »

For the benefit of anyone who might find this question via Search or Google etc; here's how I did it in Evolution 2.8.1 after creating three new mail folders as subfolders of Inbox (one for Hotmail, one for Gmail and one for my domain name mail):

1) Click "EDIT" (menu)
2) Message filters
3) Show filters for mail - Incoming
4) Click "ADD"
5) Search name = "Hotmail" (or GMail, or whatever, this is just the rule's title)
6) Find items that meet the following criteria: Recipient contains my_address@mydomain.com - THEN, MOVE TO FOLDER, "My inbox folder"

Easy :) Thanks again to fede!
xVehemencityx

Post by xVehemencityx »

Hi, I'm sure no one'll reply, because no one has posted since April of last year, but, this method doesn't work for me. When I try to receive email it says

Code: Select all

Unable to connect to POP server 127.0.0.1.
Error sending password: -ERR Unable to find folder inbox on remote server

Please enter the POP password for alex-kibler@hotmail.com on host 127.0.0.1

Anyone else have this problem or know what to do?
xVehemencityx

Post by xVehemencityx »

xVehemencityx wrote:Hi, I'm sure no one'll reply, because no one has posted since April of last year, but, this method doesn't work for me. When I try to receive email it says

Unable to connect to POP server 127.0.0.1.
Error sending password: -ERR Unable to find folder inbox on remote server

Please enter the POP password for alex-kibler@hotmail.com on host 127.0.0.1

Anyone else have this problem or know what to do?

bump
vise1980ferret

Post by vise1980ferret »

I cannot for the life of me, get hotway to install

sudo apt-get install hotway hotsmtp
it says some kind of E: error

Return to “Tutorials”