Make mintUpdate work through proxy

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
msuggs

Re: Make mintUpdate work through proxy

Post by msuggs »

I have found the same problem meaning I can only do mintUpdates at home and not at work where I have considerably faster bandwidth. Synaptic has a separate network proxy setting to the system one. I thought mintUpdate would pick this up.
AiSee

Post by AiSee »

That's easy ;)
This tool uses wget to connect servers. So, just fix /etc/wgetrc
Find strings after

Code: Select all

# You can set the default proxies for Wget to use for http and ftp.
# They will override the value in the environment.
And write down your proxy settings, after that, uncomment string

Code: Select all

use_proxy = on
That's all =)

И будет тебе счастье ;)
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

Actually just uncommenting 'use_proxy=on' seems to tell wget to use the settings in the Network Proxy Preferences. No need to add proxy server settings to wgetrc. Need to test more at work tomorrow :)
Husse

Post by Husse »

An option in mintUpdate for this then....
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

omns wrote:Actually just uncommenting 'use_proxy=on' seems to tell wget to use the settings in the Network Proxy Preferences. No need to add proxy server settings to wgetrc. Need to test more at work tomorrow :)
Testing in my work environment didn't work. I had to add in the proxy server and authentication settings to wgetrc to get it to connect - cumbersome.

Suggestion:
What is needed is a section in mintUpdate (network tab) to set the proxy and authentication settings. Something like the setup in Synaptic for network settings would be ideal :)
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

I'm ready to release mintUpdate 2.8 so I'll see if I can add that in. Ideally, under Gnome it should read the Gnome proxy settings and apply them to wget and APT. Under KDE I'm not quite sure.. and as a last resort this could also be defined in the preferences I guess.

Let me look into it.

Clem.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Just a quick update on this. I implemented HTTP, FTP and Gopher proxy support in mintUpdate 2.8, and I also took the opportunity to move the configuration to /etc/linuxmint/mintUpdate.conf (this file won't get overwritten by future updates).

Clem.
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

clem wrote:Just a quick update on this. I implemented HTTP, FTP and Gopher proxy support in mintUpdate 2.8, and I also took the opportunity to move the configuration to /etc/linuxmint/mintUpdate.conf (this file won't get overwritten by future updates).

Clem.
The proxy support in mintupdate 3.2 looks great but it needs an option to enter authentication settings
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

:| ...

Well I knew you were going to ask.. I suppose I've just been lazy. I'll add support for proxy authentication in the next update.

Clem.
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

clem wrote::| ...

Well I knew you were going to ask.. I suppose I've just been lazy. I'll add support for proxy authentication in the next update.

Clem.
Thanks Clem. This just highlights for me again what a great distro Mint is :)
bohiti

Post by bohiti »

Town Stranger wrote:Thanks for all your hard work clem & everybody in the mint project :)

I suggest that the proxy setting should have authentication setting 'case some proxies need authentication setting to use them

if it can't be done in the next update is there any way i can do it manually ?
# sudo su
# export http_proxy="http://domain\\username:password@proxyserver:port"
hsoltau
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hsoltau »

hi all,

i am on Mint7 behind a proxy that needs authentication...

what happend to the promised proxy authentication in mint update ? :D

i tried the tip to use 127.0.0.1 as the ping address, that works just to show the available updates, but when i say to install the updates i get this:

W: Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/m ... 2_i386.deb
407 Proxy Authentication Required

is there a workaround ?

thank you
Henning
8)
hsoltau
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hsoltau »

after editing the authentication user and password in the package manager mint update installs the updates... :D

the only problem now is that installing the hardware drivers for my nvidia card, i click on activate the recommended driver, but all i get is a red sign with out any explaining text...

thanks
Henning
:D

edit: i've used envy ng to install the driver, now that worked...
jesica

Post by jesica »

How can I get the fix update without going through the proxy, because I do not have internet at my house
jesica

Post by jesica »

[quote="clem"]I'm ready to release mintUpdate 2.8 so I'll see if I can add that in. Ideally, under Gnome it should read the Gnome proxy settings and apply them to wget and APT. Under KDE I'm not quite sure.. and as a last resort this could also be defined in the preferences I guess.

how do I add this in, I can not acces the internet at all because of our proxy server, I have my proxy adress username and password
jesica

Post by jesica »

I give up
jasonga

Post by jasonga »

Ok, I've been suffering from this problem (not being about to get mintUpdate to work with an authenticating proxy server), but after some research I worked out a solution (I'd love to say it was due to sheer brilliance... but it was more blind dumb luck ;) ).

Go into the Mint Update Manager, and go to the Proxy pane of the preferences. Turn on manual proxy configuration, and edit the HTTP proxy value to be "http://user:pass@proxy" (without the quotes) where:

user is your proxy username
pass is your proxy password
proxy is the url to your proxy server (without the usual http://, since you've already entered that at the start of the entry).

Enter the port number in the separate port box.

Edited to add: I had to get this to work again while starting to play with Mint 9 RC1, and I realised that I missed an important step. In addition to adding the proxy information as above in mintUpdate, you must also enter your proxy information in the Preferences of the Package Manager. Luckily the Package Manager has a place where you can enter your username and password for the proxy server, so you don't need to enter strange proxy addresses that include the info.

And presto - mintUpdate should now (finally) work!
rekik

Post by rekik »

Thank you jasonga, it works.
jasonga

Post by jasonga »

One thing I've noticed is that for some reason mintUpdate ignores the proxy settings you enter when it goes to do an automatic check for updates - it will complain that it can't connect to the repository sites. But if you open up mintUpdate and tell it to check for updates manually, it all works.

I think mintUpdate needs a bit of extra coding work for how it uses the proxy settings :)

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”