Vanilla Ice Ice Baby

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
Fred

Re: Vanilla Ice Ice Baby

Post by Fred »

Daz,

If I may, I'll comment from my perspective. That's all any of us can do, because the Linux community is not of one voice. We are a community of people, just like the town or community you live in, in real life. We are not a company or corp. with a common goal and command structure, but a rather large group of individuals.

What you are seeing is a clash of differing expectations and cultural differences. Different people respond in different ways to this meeting of fire and water, so to speak.

The proprietary software companies have expended a tremendous amount of resources over the last 15 or so years to set your expectations up in a manner that is most advantageous to them. And at the same time make it as difficult as possible to do any other way. If you will search through some of my posts, I have commented on this before.

Linux was never intended to be a better Windows, if anything it was intended to be a better Unix. But even that is a bit of a stretch. Hence the statement, "Linux is not Windows," as it was never intended to be.

Often times Windows users, having been exposed to so much marketing and expectations of a software company catering to them for their business, come to Linux with an attitude that is offensive to many in a community of volunteers. Hence the statement, "If you aren't happy with it, by all means ask for a refund."

For many, even most, in the community, converting Windows users to Linux users is not a high priority goal. I really don't know where that myth got started. The media maybe, I don't know. But let me tell you, it just isn't true. What is true is that most members of the Linux community are willing to help new users learn to use Linux. We were all helped when we got started and most are just giving back what was given to them. I know that is why I am here. It is certainly not my goal to go out, hog tie, and drag Windows users to Linux. If you are unhappy with Windows and are willing to learn a better way, I am your man. After all, you learned Windows. You can learn Linux too. I will help you anyway I can. If you want me to jump through hoops and change Linux to suite your Windows preconceptions, just so you can remain comfortable and computer illiterate, you picked the wrong guy. Linux is evolving and becoming easier to use every day, but that doesn't mean that it is, or should be, getting more like Windows. Easy to use doesn't necessarily equate to, "like Windows."

Enough philosophy for one post. :-)

Enjoy life.

Fred
symon1980

Re: Vanilla Ice Ice Baby

Post by symon1980 »

lol, i must say Fred. You did a good job there of explaining that.
Very true indeed. :)
you said what i was thinking:)

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”