Proposals for Mint 6

Submit your artwork to make Linux Mint look better
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Proposals for Mint 6

Post by clem »

Hi,

I'd like everybody to look at this: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/F10Themes/Solar

This is not only remarkable by its quality and art but by the process followed by Fedora. Let's up our game a little in that respect. We're doing great and the community is very active in making good wallpapers from wich we can derive a style. We've been relatively conservative for Mint 5 (it was very nice, don't get me wrong) but we could do something different and better for Mint 6. Let's work on a theme, an identity too and hear some proposals. I'd love to see some people step up and make proposals like this one. If you're good at making art and you want to get involved, now is your chance :)

Clem.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Proposals for Mint 6

Post by Zwopper »

I'm game!
But for me this also raises the question: What happened to Jernau and Mc Lovin? :(
Any leads - anyone?! :?:
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
fireice-LLH

Post by fireice-LLH »

Proposals only for wallpapers?
badmotor

Post by badmotor »

That theme is brilliant! I'm excited by the possibilities of what our community might come up with for Mint 6 - Clem has issued the challenge people!
m_l

Post by m_l »

That looks nice :D
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Only the wallpaper?
Well the wallpaper is the most important thing, because from the wallpaper we can basically create all the rest. If you have more time and you want to go in the detail of one particular proposal you can elaborate and create more artwork on the same theme (as done in the Fedora example page above).

Clem.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

Has Mc Lovin jumped ship, or what's the deal, does anyone know?
CREA DIEM!

clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

We usually release in November. There are no guidelines.

Clem
akaNed
Level 4
Level 4

Post by akaNed »

I'm game to help where I can. There are plenty of talented people here, we just need to have some focus.
Clem, do you have any ideas of a look that you would like to go for? Or what exactly you would like to have designed?
-wallpaper
-boot splash
-login screen
-etc.

As far as McLovin...I have no idea, but if someone does have some info it would be nice to know.

Michael
Check out my other wallpapers Deviantart
Follow me at identica or that other one
tawan

Post by tawan »

the most successful mac desktop (i think) was the space-like aurora, the fedora one that has taken peoples eyes is the 'inverted' blue sun in space.

it would be a mistake to copy that theme, i.e. use a moon, or space or so on - but i feel nature is a good bet here, organic and cool.

my list of organic and cool for consideration are;
  • fractals (but only in very low contrast so they form a texture not an over the top color explosion)
  • clouds (natures fractal) ok white could be against many peoples wishes but the fedora idea of colorising it can work.
  • macro photography of something
  • microscope photography of something like cells but colorized
  • photos / mock-ups of plasma. electric plasmas are quite amazing giving incredible natural and coloured forms, they resemble much in the universe but can made in a labratory - we would need to source some useable plasma photos that can be manipulated to suit a desktop.
  • lightning
- the best desktops are not too high contrast or man made form, really it is low contrast, one kind of colour hue and organic forms that work best against the very straight lines of the GUI.

(and i think we should use the logo by raybrown)
Last edited by tawan on Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
twin

Post by twin »

Here is a proposal from me.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

So here's an idea of mine!
Simple, organic (in a sense) and (hopefully) stylish!

Mint Dew!
Click miniature to go to download site at DevianArt.

KDE version!
Click miniature to go to download site at DevianArt.

Comments wanted!
CREA DIEM!

kayakaholic

Post by kayakaholic »

Those mint dews are something that I reckon if worked on, could be quite good!
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I subscribed to the Ubuntu Artwork mailing list yesterday. Today I received a ton of e-mails and saw this.

http://customize.org/download/screensho ... _(WIP).jpg

This is stunning! I thought this might inspire some ideas for Mint 6. I joined the mailing list because I was pissed off with way the artwork in Intrepid. I test Intrepid to know what kind of bugs we will see and the current Intrepid theme just about made me throw up!
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

exploder wrote:I subscribed to the Ubuntu Artwork mailing list yesterday. Today I received a ton of e-mails and saw this.

This is stunning! I thought this might inspire some ideas for Mint 6. I joined the mailing list because I was pissed off with way the artwork in Intrepid. I test Intrepid to know what kind of bugs we will see and the current Intrepid theme just about made me throw up!
This is the correct url!
CREA DIEM!

exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Thanks Zwopper! I tried twice to get the link to work. Thanks again!
tawan

Post by tawan »

it's a rework of the mac theme using a wood texture and a greyed version of the aqua sliders.

the desktop is nice as it has depth in the forest.

sorry that does not form much of an opinion, just observations :)
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I posted the screenshot because when I look at peoples screen shots of Mint I notice that a lot of people are using darker themes. I thought the shade of blue used in the theme looked especially nice with the dark theme. I liked how the mouse hover gave a flat look instead of a rounded look and thought it gave the theme an elegant look. The textures used give the theme a unique style but are not overdone. I love the flat black panels, they look modern and elegant. I have looked at a lot of dark themes but this is the first one that I have thought that all of the colors used look really good together. Most dark themes use real bright colors when the mouse is hoverd but this theme uses a more eye pleasing shade of blue. The icons in the Home folder do not have the Mint look but that could be changed. These are just my thoughts and I want to hear what other people think about this style of theme and I wonder what the Mint menu would look like with this theme?
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Maybe a little tweaking to the WildMint theme could provide an attractive new default look?

Edit: I tweaked the "highlighting" color to match the screenshot I posted and I am really enjoying using a dark theme! I can see why this type of look is popular.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

exploder wrote:I subscribed to the Ubuntu Artwork mailing list yesterday. Today I received a ton of e-mails and saw this.

Not bad, I just like the minimize, maximize and close buttons on the other side.
Wallpaper is very nice. :)

Return to “Your Artwork”