Define Mount Point Names

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
grouth67

Define Mount Point Names

Post by grouth67 »

I usually assign partition mount point names when I load linux distros. I rebuilt my main linux box to Core2Duo and SATA drives and did a basic quick Mint 4.0 install to see how things would go. Now I would like to rename some of my storage partition mount points hopefully using a Mint tool/script. I'm an old Slackware user and always did this manually with fstab and mnt modifications, but Mint has me confused. Hoping there is some sweet and friendly tool that allows me to do this.

Want to change existing sda10, sda11, & sda12 partition mount point names and have them show in Nautilus 'File System' view like this:
-example-
media
mnt
music (my sda10)
photos (my sda12)
proc
root
sbin
srv
store11 (my sda11)
sys

-clips from my fstab-
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0

# /dev/sda5
UUID=f439bcd4-ddf0-4c0a-b98a-237291228794 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
# /dev/sda6
UUID=0500dd5f-4c63-47a5-a9fd-32fb6d79ae96 /home ext3 defaults 0 2

# /dev/sda10
UUID=09bbcace-69db-438a-aac4-11b37054448b /music ext3 defaults 0 2
# /dev/sda11
UUID=aaf89793-c0e3-4cbb-a0c1-49cd71a3636d /store11 ext3 defaults 0 2
# /dev/sda12
UUID=dc4b8a19-41b3-448e-8904-4390d7557a79 /photos ext3 defaults 0 2

# /dev/sda3
UUID=171bf7cc-5fcd-4af9-bc32-e514d8ffe0f6 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec 0 0
/dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto,exec 0 0

QUESTION:
Is there a simple way in Mint 4.0 to rename my sda10, sda11 & sda12 mount points and have them show in Nautilus as depicted above?

Thanks for any suggestions. Gary
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fred

Re: Define Mount Point Names

Post by Fred »

grouth67,

There is no GUI, to my knowledge, to do what you want but it is pretty easy to do manually.

Create a folder called music or photos or whatever. I would suggest in your home directory, but anywhere you wish will work.

It looks as if you have already changed your fstab. Reboot and they should be there.

Fred

Edit: You must have a folder to mount to, and the mount point must be defined in fstab. That is your basic criteria.
grouth67

Post by grouth67 »

Fred,

Thanks! You got me on the right track. I fooled around as root inside /media and had built a folder at / level with a symbolic link into /media/sda11, etc...

Turns out it was as simple as just making my desired directory as root in / , setting permissions, and defining it in fstab. I apparently didn't need to be setting them all up in /media (although I did).

I define large permanent storage partitions where I keep all my research work, music, downloads, etc. since I always have a few linux distros loaded on this machine. That way I can get to my work/play files no matter what version of linux I happen to be using. I like having these directories easy to select in Nautilus.

Anyway, I got it all working the way I like it. While I sometimes play with various linux flavors, Slackware was my main production choice for years. A few months ago I permanently switched to Mint as my main work distro and am extremely happy with everything. I always keep a small openSuse on hda1 for my main mbr grub and to fix problems inside other distros when needed. And I keep a Debian Etch partition as my reliable fall back when things screw up and I need to get work done.

Thanks again, appreciate your quick reply.
Gary
Fred

Post by Fred »

You are quite welcome sir. I do pretty much the same thing except I mount them in /home/fred/My_Data

If you want to look at the way I have my multi-distro set up, you can look in the thread below.

http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... 3&start=30

Fred

EDIT: You might want to look at this thread also. Might be something in there that could help you.

http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... &sk=t&sd=a

Return to “Other topics”