Log out and Login not appear the desktop need restart system

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Welcome to Mint guslinus
Please rephrase your question - as it is now it makes no sense what so ever
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Log out and Login not appear the desktop need restart system

Post by exploder »

Did you install ccsm by any chance?
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

No, unfortunately ccsm is the main problem and was left out of the final release because of these types of problems. I have ccsm installed and in perfect working order. The solution to the problem requires an unofficial and unsupported solution. There is some risk involved and if you try this back up all of your data first.

1) Remove ccsm, you will replace it with a newer version later.

2) Enable the Gutsy Proposed repo in Synaptic and install everything except the restricted moduals and the linux ubuntu moduals. (you are not having any hardware issues so you do not need these.)

3) Edit your /etc/hosts file as root. Put your computer name at the end of the top line leaving a space. This corrects GDM errors you will receive and eliminate this problem.

4) Enable the Gutsy Backports repo and install all of the compiz updates including ccsm and Emerald. You can also install the multimedia updates if you like.

5) The last thing to fix is the desktop cube. The fix for this was in the Daryna release notes.

# gconftool-2 --type int --set /apps/metacity/general/num_workspaces 4
# gconftool-2 --type int --set /apps/compiz/general/screen0/options/hsize 4

6) Disable the Gutsy Proposed and Gutsy Backports repo's in Synaptic.

7) Reboot the system.

8) Open ccsm, go to General, Display Settings, Texture Filter and select Fast from the dropdown list. (This will fix slow or choppy behaviour.)

All of your ccsm problems should now be gone! Additional benefits include: Network Manager resolves DNS Names as it should. (No more waiting for Firefox to open a page.) Your desktop will load nearly as fast as it did in Cassandra and Celena. CCSM will retain your settings and a few other minor improvements.

I would suggest you remove and residual config files before you begin, things just seem to go better with a clean system.

Please post back your results. I would like others that are having these problems to benefit from this information. Your problems are identical to the problems I was having until I figured out how to resolve them. Please back up any important data before you begin.
Last edited by exploder on Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Exploder - impressive
Where did you find that?
I know that ccsm was excluded from the final Daryna because of problems, but I haven't found any side effects from so no reason and possibility to experiment.
Damn - my Daryna is so stable that I don't get any first hand experience solving problems (a few minor exceptions)
Network manager is also interesting as there admittedly is a problem in Daryna that was not there in earlier versions....
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I was involved in Gutsy's development, lots of submitting and reading bug reports. The ccsm fix took quite a while to figure out because seemingly unrelated packages were causing problems. There was a lot of trial and error before I put all of the pieces together for a working solution that provided a very stable system.

It is difficult to get these proposed packages into the main repositories mainly because Hardy is the developer's main focus now. I posted this instruction set for those that are having problems with ccsm as an effort to resolve the issues and so they can enjoy compiz-fusion with all of the bells and whistles.

I tried to emphasize the fact that this is not an approved method of resolution and for user's to back up their data before trying this.

I hope those that are having problems will benefit from this information. My system has had no ill effects of any kind from this solution.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

It's thanks to exploder that ccsm isn't in Daryna... (ok that didn't sound very good.. let me rephrase...). It's thanks to exploder that we don't have that bug in Daryna :)

Clem
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Can you post your hardware specs? We can get this sorted out. Your /etc/hosts file is correct and you are not getting GDM errors. The black desktop is caused by the way compiz is starting. On problem systems like yours and mine compiz wants to start immediately. Since fixing mine, metacity starts and loads the desktop and then compiz starts.

Post your hardware specs first. I am guessing that you have an ATI graphics card, We can also compare our settings in ccsm. Some of the settings are not supported with my graphics card and I have turned them off in ccsm.

Can you post what you have running in the panel? I removed Tomboy Notes and the new Update tool. I was having a memory leak problem with the Update tool, every time it refreshed my memory use went up.

We will get this fixed! Post back and we will keep working on it.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I do not have mintUpdate or Restricted Drivers Management enabled. Try turning them off one at a time and see if it makes any difference.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Your Intel Graphics might be the problem. I remember reading about some additional configuration for Intel graphics. I will keep an eye out for the information and post back that or any other information I find.

edit: Open ccsm, go to General, Display Settings, Texture Filter and select Fast from the dropdown list. This may help because you have onboard graphics.

I will keep looking!

Return to “Releases & Announcements”