Linux Mint 5 Elyssa RC2 (BETA 048) is out!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa RC2 (BETA 048) is out!

Post by Guest »

thorhr wrote:I downloaded 048 in about 10 minutes which was faster than any one I have down loaded so far. I already had my home folder backed up using mintbackup.I installed 048 on 2 different computers.One has a intel p4 3.4 processor intel D865PERL MB 2 gigs of memory a ATI radeon 9250 video 2 Gigs memory card and a WD 160 Gig hard drive the other one is the same except for the processor 3.0 Gig intell.
So far every thing works great. What an awesome O.S. Good Job!
How'd you dl it in 10min?...its taking me about 1.5 hours.
piratesmack

Post by piratesmack »

CatastrophicToad wrote:
npap wrote:SCREEN RESOLUTION BUG
Monitor resolution settings:
1280x768 is default. My 1024x768 setting for my 17" generic monitor, is never remembered when I reboot.
Resolution reverts to the default 1280x768
I had the same problem in LM4. If you run

Code: Select all

sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
and scroll down to the bottom, under "Selection "Screen"" it will say something like "Modes "1280x768" "1024x768" "832x624" "800x600" "720x400" "640x480" "640x350""

If you delete the "1280x768" it will not run at that mode. Interestingly, the same thing does not happen for me with the LM5 betas.

In case you screw something up in xorg.conf, remember the command

nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
which will let you look at the file when the display system won't start, and the file tells you a command at the end of the top comments that is harder to remember:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
which will put the xorg.conf file back to default.

I think it is unlikely that they will fix this problem for LM5, because it is probably a problem with the display system.

-This is how I fixed that problem:

sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
-Locate something similar to this:

Section "Screen"
	Identifier	"Default Screen"
	Monitor		"Configured Monitor"
	Device		"Configured Video Device"
	Defaultdepth	24
EndSection
-And change it to something like:

Section "Screen"
	Identifier	"Default Screen"
	Monitor		"Configured Monitor"
	Device		"Configured Video Device"
	Defaultdepth	24
		SubSection "Display"
			Depth 24
			Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
		EndSubSection
EndSection
(basically just add the subsection)
-Save and reboot
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

My mistake on the menu. I looked at two previous versions of the mintmenu and the behavior I described earlier is how it has always been.

I need to get more sleep...
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I'm still running the first beta but i noticed something with mintmenu, when you move your mouse up to "places" then back down to quit when you mouse over "network" it keeps it selected for some reason. It doesn't happen on the upwards approach but the downwards which makes it strange.. Just wanting to know if it is still happening in the second beta.

Hopefully someone can confirm if this does or does not happen in the second beta thanks.
I can confirm this. It happens on beta 2 also.

Good eye for detail, Kynan !
U.S. Mint

Title bar missing from all windows in RC2

Post by U.S. Mint »

How do I get the title bar back?

I installed RC2, it worked well, I ran whatever updates it called for and logged out. Then I placed the PC in Suspend.

Came back home, started PC back up, logged in -- and no title bars for any windows. I disabled all desktop effects, but still no title bars.
grizwald
Level 3
Level 3

Post by grizwald »

Annoyance No.2.

When opening a picture file I click on the file and it opens using the 'default' image viewer.
I have also installed a simple picture editor program [Showfoto].
Occasionally I choose to edit a picture file so I select Showfoto from the drop down menu,
BUT Showfoto now becomes the new default!!

So when I next want to view a picture file, Showfoto is selected rather than what was the default viewer.

Any chance of changing the arrangement back to the way it is in Daryna?

As an aside, several releases back [Cassandra] there used to be a picture editor called 'Ida' listed amongst the programs available for download. It also is a simple but very effective picture editor and unfortunately It is no longer listed but I think it should be. Any chance of that being restored to the list when the opportunity presents itself?

Meanwhile....

Great work Guys, a really tremendous effort and a truly excellent distribution. Congratulations!!!

Cheers,

Griz.
xwin78
Level 1
Level 1

Post by xwin78 »

Great work! LM5 is beautiful! Thank You all so very much!
live for what you'd die for
ti479
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ti479 »

Love the new mint!!!

just did clean install and everything is working well with the exception of Frostwire, program loads and starts into the interface but all that i see is a white screen . i tried installing using the package manager as well as Wine with another .exe version of it with the same results. whatever it causing this seems also to prevent limewire from starting at all. if anyone figures this out please let me know the solution.

thanks

scott
Rob Brill

Post by Rob Brill »

Hi,

I have installed Linux Mint 5.0 Elyssa beta 048(RC2) on
my hard disk since yesterday. A fresh (clean) install.

According to my hardware, everythyng is alright.

Bugs so far:

I can't add a new user - Simply the sistem throws it out
This bug has been reported above on this thread.

Before starting updates required, (44+8) till' now i had only
set up firefox preferences and fix route (PPPOECONF) to get
an activated internet connection on working. (Terminal)

During the process of updating, a message came out and asked
me to keep or replace changes that i have made on
/etc/skel/.bashrc - I choose replace - What did it mean?
I sincerely couldn't understand it but in short, Mint is running
very good. If news occurencies appear, i do post them here in.

Linux Mint 5 Gnome Main Edition Elyssa Beta 48 (RC2)
Very Niceeeeeeee!
Great Job Clem, Exploder and the Team

Cheers

Roberto
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lakehousetech »

Right on brotha. Love it.
akshunj

Post by akshunj »

Elyssa is pretty dang fine, man! Loving life right now. One weird quirk: Ubuntu LiveCD always detects and activates my Atheros wireless card, while Mint LiveCD ALWAYS fails. Everything is fine after install, but it sucks not being able to use the LiveCD for internet...

Something cool about the new kernel:

[ 37.304168] acer_acpi: Acer Laptop ACPI Extras version 0.11.1
[ 37.304184] acer_acpi: Detected Acer WMID interface

Oh yeah. That is the hotness!!! Maybe my laptop will suspend properly now!

UPDATE: Dammit! Then I read this, and now I'm pissed again. Suspend STILL doesn't work right on my Acer!!! :evil:

--Akshun J
ausmark

Post by ausmark »

Beta 048 looks good and installs fine on my testbox, still using Celena on main system, intend to update to Elyssa when finalised.

One problem after install of Crossover (version 6.0.1), crossover program items will not start from menu, but can be started directly from nautilus.

One suggestion/viewpoint, my testbox only has atheros pci wireless connection and this was not detected on the live cd and their is no obvious gui to connect it, if I didn't have a testbox to try things out, I would probably not have gone any further with this release. Maybe a idiot proof gui for wireless connections could be included in the not too distant future.

Hoping for a fix for crossover in the final release...
Anon

Torrent available

Post by Anon »

There is a torrent now available. The tracker is at Linuxtracker.org.
Get it here: http://linuxtracker.org/index.php?page= ... f26c6b47bc
StevenJ

Post by StevenJ »

BUG REPORT:
Not sure if has already been reported (sorry if this is a double post)
Secondly, I don't know if this bug is directly related to this RC2 or if it is related to the software pre-installed with RC2
Follow with me: Click Start (or whatever its called in Linux Terms) > My Computer > File System > (Currently you aren't as root) So Right Click a blank spot > Open as root > It asks for my password > I enter my password > I get 2 annoying messages 1st "Running Xfe as root!" (duh isn't that what I just told you to do? You're not gonna start asking me "Canel or Allow" now are you?) The second messages (the bug) "Mount Point /home/username/.gvfs is not responding..." (username would be where my real username would go)

PS.
Thank you for this awesome release and mint itself. I have truly been trying to adapt and accept linux coming from my windows environment, and this truly is remarkable what you have developed. It has made my learning experience really easy. Thank you.
Insane1 [Not logged in]

Post by Insane1 [Not logged in] »

Well so far so good with this new beta. However i Have found a few problems. Mostly pertaining to the pulseaudio sound system. It's wreaked a little havoc through both secondlife and my install of Audacious (Had to switch away from ALSA, which wouldn't function right).

The BIG problem I've found, and I have little clue how to get more info to help about it, is that streaming videos flat out won't work. They'll load, buffer, and then only the audio will play. I've tried it with both a streaming MOV and streaming DivX. Both of which functioned fine under Daryna.
siete

Post by siete »

It works really fine. Faster tha Daryna 4. But: some little problems:

1-The firewall don't allow me to connect to internet
2-I have installed Mophant (like lphant) on Daryna and works perfectly, but it's impossible for me to install it on Elyssa.
keithp
Level 3
Level 3

Post by keithp »

<Edit> For some unknown reason, the problem has gone away and Mint is now booting correctly. I hate these problems which solve themselves!

Sorry to have trouble you.

Original posting:

A very peculiar problem here with 048. It's never happened before with 032 or Daryna. (Or with any other distro I have tried).

LiveCD runs and works well.

Clean installation on hard drive goes well and everything I try, works.

Basic installation boots correctly. No problems.

I then install all the updates, using the update manager. After that, 048 refuses to boot!

It starts booting and then stops with the error message:

BusyBoxv1.1.3 (Debian 1:1.1.3-5ubuntu12) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.
(initramfs)_

I have done two clean installations, and the same thing has happened both times.

As I am the only person who has this problem, it must be something here and can't be a bug. But what?

I'm completely lost, so any help will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Keith
Last edited by keithp on Wed May 28, 2008 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
ric.dintino
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ric.dintino »

Post by Guest »

Hello!
How to install Mint RC2 in text mode, when boot from CD?
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

Guest wrote:Hello!
How to install Mint RC2 in text mode, when boot from CD?
Sorry, there is no alternate install CD, or I haven't seen one. Currently you can only install by running a live session.
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin

Return to “Releases & Announcements”