Software Portal : Post your suggestions here

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jernau

Re: Software Portal

Post by Jernau »

Art of Illusion
Pencil
ScummVM

Also, Wine is one of the first things that I install on a new Linux installation, and I found it difficult to locate in the Elyssa Software Portal. Am I correct in thinking that the 'Windows Compatibility Layer' in 'Games->Emulators' page 3 is actually Wine? If so, then I'd recommend renaming the entry to 'Wine: Windows Compatibility Layer' so that searching for 'Wine' in the Software Portal returns the correct result. It's fine in 'Games->Emulators', but I'd also suggest listing it under 'Accessories->Emulators', so that people who want to use it to run Office or other non-game related applications can find it more easily. Wine Doors would also be nice to have, especially as it's in the Daryna Software Portal.

Keep up the great work on the Software Portal ed - your efforts are truly appreciated and will make a big difference to the success of Elyssa! :D 8)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fred

Post by Fred »

CavalierBob,

I would suggest you take a look at my Clean-Up & Back-Up / Restore script. It does everything you talked about for backing up and more. It just doesn't have a real fancy GUI on it yet. It is posted in the how-to section of the forum

It uses rsync so it only transfers the changes since the last back-up.

I couldn't find anything that I liked so I decided to write my own. I didn't really need a fancy GUI so it doesn't have one. I might get around to putting a nicer GUI on it if enough people want it.

Fred
badmotor

Post by badmotor »

Frostwire... I can't find it in the repos?
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kanishka »

What, no Grid Wars in the Portal? AAAAAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHHHH
Jernau

Post by Jernau »

Have you thought about adding a 'BitTorrent Client' section to the 'Internet' part of the Elyssa Software Portal?

It would be great to have a .mint for my favourite client: Deluge.
Jernau

Post by Jernau »

ed@Mint wrote:I did, this section is actually part of the 100+ apps that are to be added like i said in the first post.
However, they did not make it to the portal yet.
(I still have to rely on Clem to make the actual insert in the database and he's a bit busy these days as you can imagine).
It's great to hear that you've done this already - I'm looking forward to seeing what apps you've added. :)
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

The only app I can think of that I would ever use that is missing is Celtx, but last time I checked that wasn't even in the Ubuntu repos. Dunno why it's not.
Jernau

Post by Jernau »

belovedmonster wrote:The only app I can think of that I would ever use that is missing is Celtx, but last time I checked that wasn't even in the Ubuntu repos. Dunno why it's not.
Another Celtx user here... I read somewhere that it wasn't going to be put into the Debian repositories until it has come out of beta. Hopefully that will happen soon - because I think it's a great piece of software! :)
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

Well it hit version 1.0 this week so there's no excuse for it not to be in the repos in the future.
Jernau

Post by Jernau »

belovedmonster wrote:Well it hit version 1.0 this week so there's no excuse for it not to be in the repos in the future.
I didn't realize that 1.0 was out - thanks for the heads-up! :)
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

You should subscribe to my blog then you would know these things :wink: Alas I can't tell you the address as this thread has already gone off topic far too much.
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

OK, I am passing along a request from my mother. She would like a Hearts card game (something similar to GNOME Hearts, probably) added to the Software Portal. Boring suggestion in comparison, but it is the only thing she has ever complained about in Mint 4. Yes, she has the GNOME Games pack and plays those card games, but she really likes hearts. We all know how mothers can be. Now, we tried downloading via Synaptic, but that game pretends to load, then vanishes. Not sure what the glitch is. Anyway, that is one suggestion from a very happy little old lady.
Jernau

Post by Jernau »

ed@Mint wrote:Big update on the software portal !
Enjoy :)
Looks fantastic - great work! :D
ed@Mint wrote:The idea of "software packs" initially proposed for a 'Mint studio' has been accepted, i'll start building some soon.
Stay tuned !
8)
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Software Portal : Post your suggestions here

Post by kanishka »

Hey Wicd is a very good network manager, especially for wireless; actually, I use it instead of the gnome network manager :roll:
It would be nice to have it in the portal
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kanishka »

ed@Mint wrote:Ok, thank you Kanishka.
I'll do my best to include all the suggestions.

Important: If you suggest an application that is not currently in the repos, please post a link to the developpers website as well, that will save some time, thanks :)
:oops: You're right! It's here http://wicd.sourceforge.net/ (I know I'm too late anyway :lol: )
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Post by T J Tulley »

Hi! I'm a Newbie and want to use Gramps, which has just released its version 3.01 - and also an .iso file to install that with Ubuntu Hardy Heron, together with other files for genealogical uses.

There shouldn't therefor be a lot more work required to make that version of Gramps compatible with Elyssa - I hope this can be achieved. Perhaps at the same time you could consider the other files which they have included in their .iso.

Synaptic Package Manager in Elyssa shows Gramps version 2.2.10-2 as the latest currently available for Mint.
I'm puzzled by the Software Portal screen - having logged in and selected Elyssa, it tells me, for example, that there are 29 Accessories - but when I click on that all I am shown is a list of 15 Text Editors. I suggest that it needs a Search engine.

Thanks for your work for the community.
Yours hopefully -

Theo Tulley.
Using a PC with 2GB RAM, 3 hdds and a 1.7 GHz Celeron cpu.
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kanishka »

I was surprised not finding Sound Juicer in the Portal... :?:
http://burtonini.com/blog/computers/sound-juicer
Another nice addition would be Sound Converter: http://soundconverter.berlios.de/
Tithis

Post by Tithis »

Snes9x GTK

I would easily consider the definitive gui version of Snes9x for Linux. The gui is onpar with the Windows version
ImageImage
Original thread+Download (Source,Deb,Binary)
http://www.snes9x.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3703
Katzedecimal

Post by Katzedecimal »

=^<.<^= , o O ( I can has Teatime, pls? )
Katzedecimal

Post by Katzedecimal »

Tried that, had the 'incredible vanishing application' occurance - couldn't find it anywhere. *shrug* If they don't want to mintify it, that's fine by me. It was just a suggestion.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”