My Elyssa Experience

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AK Dave

My Elyssa Experience

Post by AK Dave »

My current Elyssa install is built on a 048 beta, updates with stable, and dist-update beyond that. So YMMV. I'm not running a stock Elyssa.stable. Consider my install to be Elyssa.proposed, with a Hardy.1/8.04.1 base instead of a Hardy/8.04 base. My kernel is -19, and my Hardy parts identify themselves as 8.04.1 instead of 8.04.

How did I get here?
Installed 048, installed some level 1 & 2 upgrades as needed during the beta period, and when Elyssa was released stable I followed Clem's recommended upgrade path instead of doing a fresh install with THIS ONE DIFFERENCE: instead of commenting out (##) everything as he recommends, I UNcommented everything except sources. This opens the door to backports, unstable, and especially to proposed. I did the CLI upgrade as he recommends, top to bottom, twice through, and believe me the second dist-upgrade after updating all of the mint apps was just as valuable as the first. I've since continued with allowing 3 and 4 level upgrades, switching Xorg to 1.4.1 just last night as it came available in proposed.

Restricted drivers:
I run the restricted ATI driver from the repos, but I do not run EnvyNG on this machine. Too much hassle for not enough gain, unless I need dual monitor support (I'll only get that reliably through ATI Catalyst). With the repo restricted ATI, I don't need to worry about downgrading to upgrade and everything upgrades from repo simultaneously. Much simpler for me. I've used EnvyNG on other installs and like it generally, didn't like Envy Legacy, but don't need to mess with it because everything that EnvyNG used to fix is now already fixed and working without it.

Other software mods:
Updated MintAssistant. From the Ubuntu Netbook Remix, I've installed Maximus and WindowPickerApplet. In FF the bookmark toolbar is disabled. All this is to maximize vertical screen real estate. Bonus: in Gnome Terminal, now automatically running maximized without a title bar, I set it to full transparent and use appropriate font colors for a terminal-on-desktop experience. I love my CLI.

My hardware:
Stock unmodified Gateway MX6453 laptop. See manufacturer for specs. AMD Turion64x2, 2gig ram, 160gig drive, 15" screen, rtl8187 wireless, Radeon Xpress.

What works:
What doesn't work? Everything works: wireless w/ WEP and WPA, bluetooth, suspend/resume, audio i/o, CPU throttling, OpenGL, Compiz. VLC plays video WITH Compiz enabled(!), no FF issues at all with Flash video (Flash identifies as 3.0 not 3.0rc#). adduser works right. All of the multimedia keys

Glitches noted:
Gnome-Do: I can launch the applet, type to select a program, but when I press <enter> nothing ever gets launched. Gnome-Do doesn't "do". Goodbye.
Banshee: If banshee is not paused, system does not suspend. If Banshee is paused, system will suspend but on resume audio is locked. Close Banshee, reopen, everything works fine. Haven't tried to replicate problem with Mplayer, VLC, or other audio source. Not that thrilled with Banshee anyways; intend to switch to Amarok w/ gtkpod instead.

How does that help anyone? Maybe it does; maybe it doesn't. Mint runs great on my hardware. Better than stock, in my opinion. Better than the beta. I'm thrilled. If there is a lesson in this for anyone, maybe it is that if you're having a bit of trouble on your hardware, the solution is probably already out there in the form of restricted, backports, unstable, or proposed. I use them all. I'm not ashamed; I'm also doing this at my own risk.

The other two installed distros on this laptop are:
1. Kubuntu/Hardy 8.04.1 currently with KDE4.05, soon to be with KDE4.1. Will be replaced with Mint Elyssa KDE CE as soon as a beta is available. Kubuntu is sloppy, ugly, not well integrated, and totally unprofessional (by comparison with Mint). But it serves as a sufficient demo of KDE4 that doesn't frak anything up and is extremely useful in "eyecandy mode" to impress the bejeebus out of folks ("Is that Vista on that old laptop?" "Could Vista do THIS?").
2. Mint Daryna KDE CE "stock". Still my main daily use install and will continue as such until Elyssa KDE upstages it, at which point this partition is slated to receive OpenGEU.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fred

Re: My Elyssa Experience

Post by Fred »

Dave,

The only comment I would make would be to warn others that they may or may not get the same results from the actions Dave has taken. :-)

There is a sig line I have seen... I think it is Husse's, that says, "If you can't fix it, don't break it."

Just something to keep in mind. :-)

Fred

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”