Cannot view vista share

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
arm1e

Cannot view vista share

Post by arm1e »

Maybe I am being a complete retard but I have spent over an hour on this and I'm still nowhere:

I have a Vista share on second machine and cant connect to it in Elyssa. sometimes the workgroup is visible as is the computer but when I enter it there are no folders. I know that vista requires a logon to access the share but I am not asked for one. Using the samba gui and manually inputting the login details doesn't work either.

Please Jim can you fix it for me to get this bloody thing working!

Cheers
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Cannot view vista share

Post by Husse »

Well I don't know any Jim here :)
We used to have fusesmb installed by default, but it is not suitable for larger networks so we skipped it. You could install it and networking is a lot easier

Code: Select all

apt install fusesmb
miket

Post by miket »

You may find smb4k works better, to install it open a terminal and type the following command :

Code: Select all

apt-get install smb4k
I've found it to be far more reliable than fusesmb ...

EDIT: Also see this post.

Mike.
Husse

Post by Husse »

It's the second time today I see smb4k
Mike - can you describe it for me (you could PM me)
miket

Post by miket »

Husse wrote:It's the second time today I see smb4k
Mike - can you describe it for me (you could PM me)
Done.
miket

Post by miket »

Hi Eric,
Eric Weir wrote:I have a similar problem -- I think -- to the one the original poster to this thread posted about.

I've set up simple file sharing between my Mint desktop and a laptop running XP, i.e., with Mint functioning as client to the XP functioning as server.

On the laptop I can see all the shares, both the XP shares and the Mint shares, and can move files in both directions. However, on the desktop I can only see the Mint shares.

Is this the way it's supposed to be with simple file sharing, or should I be able to see the XP shares from the desktop?

Thanks,
You will need to mount the XP shares on your Mint Desktop, the smb4k program mentioned above will do this for you once installed.

Mike.
miket

Post by miket »

HI Eric !
Eric Weir wrote:
AvanceIT wrote:You will need to mount the XP shares on your Mint Desktop, the smb4k program mentioned above will do this for you once installed.
Thanks, Mike. I came across your post on configuring Samba earlier. I'm a bit intimidated at the prospects of that -- though I've found a wonderful book that gives the clearest and most detailed explanation of that and many other things about Ubuntu and Linux without assuming prior knowledge that I've encountered [Mark Sobell, A Practical Guide to Ubuntu Linux] -- which is why I went with simple file sharing in the first place. But I'm wondering if it would be all that much more difficult to just go ahead and set myself up as a Samba server.

What do you think?

Thanks again,
Setting up a Samba server isn't that difficult ... if you use Gedit to edit the files it's even easier :)
At least you will have a proper file server once Samba is running, a lot better than peer-to-peer file sharing.

I say go for it .... what have you got to loose ? :)

Mike.
miket

Post by miket »

Hello again !
Eric Weir wrote:
AvanceIT wrote:the smb4k program mentioned above will do this for you
P.S. Especially since smb4k drags the KDE desktop along with it.

Regards,
Well not quite the whole desktop ... just few bits it needs to run :)
Personally I don't see it as a problem as I also use K3b for CD/DVD burning which was originally written for the KDE environment ....

Mike.
miket

Post by miket »

Hi Eric !
Eric Weir wrote:Until very recently, all the explanations about how to do it -- and I've got a pile of them from the Ubuntu forums -- have been largely opaque to me. They assume the reader understands a lot for than at least this non-techie user does. That said, the last time I looked at your explanation at -- http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... 50&t=12644 -- it looked a little less forbidding than in the past.

I think probably the configuration you gave there -- with modifications to accommodate my system, i.e., names used, etc. -- will work for me, but I want to make printer sharing part of it, and there were some options that I remember being unclear about.
The simple config file in the posting actually has the necessary entries in it to share the default printer.
I'll print out the configuration file, make notes about needed changes based on your instructions, and of any lingering questions I have. Can I check back in with you about things about which I'm uncertain?
Sure ! I'm more than happy to answer any questions that I can !
While I'm at it, I happened onto your website a couple days ago -- don't ask me how, I just remember realizing it was the same guy who posted about Samba -- and I was curious about the cars you use in your business. What's the make?
The cars are Fiat Panda's ... they are great little things that do 70 Miles Per Gallon running around town and 76 miles per gallon on a long run!
They are also very cheap to insure and tax which is why we use them .... they are powered by a little 4 cylinder 1250cc Turbo Charged Diesel engine which goes like a little rocket :)
They are also very cheap to buy :)

Mike.
miket

Post by miket »

Hi Eric !
Eric Weir wrote:I've printed out my default configuration -- well, actually it's got some changes in it from setting up the file shares -- and the one you did for the forum. I'm going to have some questions. There are some things done a little differently in the two files that probably amount to the same thing, but I'll want to check.
Ok that's fine ... there are many different ways to setup the Samba conf file :)
Wow! People here think a Honda Fit or a Toyota Prius hybrid getting 40 miles to the gallon is really something. FWIW, with gas prices at and above $4.00 a gallon -- you'd probably love to see $4.00 a gallon!-- people are finally starting to come to their senses. Pickups and SUVs are sitting on the dealers lots, and we see more and more of the Fit and the Prius and their ilk on the road. Motor scooters and bicycles, too.
Gas prices here are now at around £4.00 per gallon, that's about US$8.0 ... so yes, we'd love US$4.0 per gallon !!
There are a lot of small cars in Europe now that are capable of 60MPG or more .... my Fiat's are just one example.
You must be able to get the same range of vehicles in the USA too ?
I'll be going at Samba slowly. I tend to get obsessed about this kind of stuff, and then real work suffers. So I try to discipline myself take it a little at a time.
That's the best way to approach it ... a little at a time ....
Another unrelated question: What do you think about Macs? The open-source idea and community are appealing, but the frustrations of Ubuntu and even Mint for me as a non-techie have tempted me to just go out and buy and iMac. They're so beautiful. MHO, of course.
At the risk of getting flamed again here goes ... I really like Apple iMac's, I'm using one now to write this !
Regardless of what people say, the Apple range of computers still provide the best "Out of the Box" experience there is to be had.
Everything just works ... Apple support is excellent and their updates system is probably the best there is.
Saying all that, you pay for it, they do cost more however the quality of the hardware I have found to be better.
I have a 10 year old Apple iBook laptop which is still going great and is in use everyday !

The huge plus just like Linux is the fact that Apple kit runs UNIX, OS X which is based on BSD ... so it's secure and virus free ...

I'd better stop there otherwise the flaming will go on for weeks :)

Perhaps we should move this thread into the Open Chat forum :)

Mike.
miket

Post by miket »

Hi Eric !
Eric Weir wrote:Amazing that we don't know what the rest of the world is up to.
Take a lok at this website : http://www.fiat.co.uk/Showroom/#showroom/panda
You should never have told me about that, Mike. But then I did ask, didn't I? [I explained that I'm sorely tempted by them.]

More later,
My business only uses Apple Mac's and Linux UNIX .. no windows at all ...
I've moved some of my client's businesses over to Apple Desktops and Linux UNIX servers ... and they are extremely pleased with the results ....
I've also moved some of my client's over to Linux Mint Desktops and Ubuntu Server solutions and they are also extremely happy :) ( And saving a lot of money!!)

We are lucky to have so many options available to us that offer something far better than the normal OEM supplied operating systems ...

Mike.
miket

Post by miket »

Hi Eric !
Eric Weir wrote:Nothing quite like it here. Big difference between the basic Panda and the one you've got in MPG.
I have the Diesel model, the basic Panda is a petrol engine, nowhere near as efficient :)
Ah yes ... the mini .... not very economical really :)
Well, as I said, open-source really appeals -- really. But I've given it a year and have been somewhat frustrated, e.g., EXCRUCIATINGLY slow performance of Thunderbird, that I've tried everything I can to remedy to no avail; difficulties getting file sharing/networking going, etc. Over the past year I've invested a great deal of time in trying to get a half decent installation running, to the point that it's detracted from investment in my actual work. I want to use my system. I don't want to spend time trying to figure out how to make it work.
Yes I can fully understand your frustrations, there are many people in the same boat, which is where I normally come in, it's my job to manage these
problems so that people can just get on and use their machines rather than spending hours resolving problems.
I've managed to resolve all the problems my clients have had with Linux Mint to date, which is a good thing as it's helps to get Linux Mint into the mainstream desktop market place,
which is one of my main goals. Linux Mint is a great product in itself, it just needs a little TLC to get it functioning how you like it.
If I was a quicker study technology-wise perhaps I would be happier than I am with Linux at this point. My machine is less than ideal; if I invested $500 in a new machine and $200 in new monitor very likely I'd be quite satisfied. But I'm unwilling to make that investment given the experience I've had.
Sometimes one has to speculate to accumalate :)
Your comments about Apple echo what I've heard from others. Not going to do it immediately, but I've pretty much decided to get myself an iMac or MacBook. At times that makes me sad. I like Mint. But I imagine I would get over my sadness pretty quickly with a Mac.

But I'm still gonna see if I can have some success with Samba.

More later.
I also run various flavours of linux in VirtualMachines under OS X on my 20in iMac ... best of both worlds !

Mike.
miket

Post by miket »

Hi Eric !
Eric Weir wrote: Two things, Mike. One, I just wanted to let you know that I don't get the email notification when there's a response to a post on a thread to which I'm subscribed. Probably related to a screw up in my initial registration that Clem had to complete for me, but no one's been able to diagnose the problem yet.
Not a problem ... I have plenty of time on my hands to reply :)
Two, I think I've experienced the straw that broke the camel's back for me with Linux, at least for the time being. Yesterday, when I tried to copy a folder from the XP machine to the Linux machine, a folder that I'd copied several times since getting file sharing going, I was denied permission. I'm so disgusted I don't even want to try to figure out what the problem is. As I said before, I just wanna use the damn system.
Something must had changed for it to stop working ?
Don't know what I'm gonna do. Maybe go out and buy a Mac. Maybe just a USB hard drive to backup the XP folders to till my savings get to the point where purchasing a Mac feels a little less like a splurge. Or, if I get the time, and I may well in a week or so, I may see if I can get the Linux machine running as a Samba server. If I do, hopefully it will be a little more stable than my shares.
I have a posting on here all about setting up a Samba server .... have a look for it ... it's set sticky so should be easy to find ....
As you may have heard, yesterday Ford announced that it's going to drastically cut pickup and SUV production here and start manufacturing some of the small cars it manufactures in European in this country. One commentator expressed concern that if fuel prices drop they could find themselves out on a limb. I don't think they need to worry about that.
I don't think oil will be going down in price anytime soon :)
There are a lot of small cars over here now ... it makes sense really ... for many reasons :)
Hope business is going well for you.
Sincerely,
Not bad at all ... sometimes too busy ... but mustn't grumble ;)

Have a good weekend ...

Mike.

Ps: Just finished updating my website ... a new look and feel and is even more Minty than ever :)
miket

Post by miket »

Hi Eric !
Eric Weir wrote:I have it bookmarked. It's where I would start. Don't know whether it's because I've been warily sniffing around Samba like a coyote around a baited trap for so long or what, but the last couple times I looked at your configuration there were some things I actually thought I understood.
If you have any questions just drop me a PM, I'd be happy to help you ....
Oil might bounce around a little, like I sense it has this week, but fuel won't -- not much anyway.
It only seems to go up in price here :(
Couldn't agree more. I now own the biggest car I've ever owned in my life, a Geo Prizm -- a Toyota Corolla actually -- which I have because my elderly mother gave it to me.
They are good car, I think they were voted the worlds most reliable car ....
One time my ex-wife and I were on vacation in the Smokies.
I saw this and my heart missed a beat .... I lived in the Smokey Mountains for a year, we lived at the trout farm in Cosby, Indian Camp Creek Campground and Trout Farm, 135 Old Smoky Road, Cosby .... not sure if it is still there any more ... might be a trailer park now ... but what a beautiful part of the USA ... I loved it there ... I wonder what it is like now ?
We used to sit and watch the bears coming down from the mountain to feed at the trout feeders :)
Ps: Just finished updating my website ... a new look and feel and is even more Minty than ever :)
Very nice. A suggestion: resize things so it's not necessary to scroll down to see the full page. [I recognize that may not be a problem with a normal monitor. I viewed it with my tiny 12" screen laptop. If so disregard.]
It's written for 1024x768 res screens, seems to be the norm today .... perhaps I should have a smaller version selectable for Netbooks ?

Have a good weekend ...

Mike.

Return to “Networking”