Software Portal

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Software Portal

Post by antiquexray »

Is this right (and yes, I read the release note)? When I click the "Package Manager" icon on the menu I get the Synaptic Package Manger. When I click the "Software Portal" icon on the menu I get the Synaptic Package Manger.
Husse

Post by Husse »

No, no that's not right.
The portal (mintInstall) does use Synaptic but you should get the mintInstall.
Have not had time to install the final version yet so I can't tell if it's a general bug, but I'm convinced it's not
And as always - the standard question
have you checked the md5sum and burned slowly?
And - yes it can be so strange that everything is OK but some detail....
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

Husse wrote:No, no that's not right.
The portal (mintInstall) does use Synaptic but you should get the mintInstall...have you checked the md5sum and burned slowly?
md5sum matches. When I burned, I wasn't given an option on speed. I'll try burning on another system and reinstall (damn).
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

antiquexray wrote:
Husse wrote:No, no that's not right.
The portal (mintInstall) does use Synaptic but you should get the mintInstall...have you checked the md5sum and burned slowly?
md5sum matches. When I burned, I wasn't given an option on speed. I'll try burning on another system and reinstall (damn).
Burned another one (at 1x), did the md5sum thing (it's ok), same problem. Oh well, it will get sorted out sooner or later.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Ouch - a bug!
I get synaptic too
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

Husse wrote:Ouch - a bug!
I get synaptic too
Can you believe it? I once said I'd never want to kiss a Husse :D . Thanks! I thought I was doing something wrong.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

From a fresh installed Daryna stable? I get mintInstall by clicking on "Software Portal". Can anybody else confirm?

Clem
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

I might have an idea.. did you use an old /home partition? You might have some old configuration for mintMenu. Open a terminal and do:

gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /apps/mintMenu

Then remove mintMenu from the panel and add it again.

Clem
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

clem wrote:I might have an idea.. did you use an old /home partition? You might have some old configuration for mintMenu. Open a terminal and do:

Clem
I'll try it and get right back to you...and yes, I did use an old home partition.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

antiquexray wrote:
clem wrote:I might have an idea.. did you use an old /home partition? You might have some old configuration for mintMenu. Open a terminal and do:

Clem
I'll try it and get right back to you...and yes, I did use an old home partition.
Clem, you're good...REAL DARN GOOD!!! That fixed it.

PS The REAL DARN GOOD was part of the show for a band I used to run the light for...guess you had to be there.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Yupp - that worked. Seems we should have something about old home partitions in the release notes :lol:
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

Husse wrote:Yupp - that worked. Seems we should have something about old home partitions in the release notes :lol:
OH COOL! I ACTUALLY DISCOVERED A BUG...yes, it's true, I thought I was doing something wrong, but still, many discoveries were done by accident :D :D :D

My slightly more then noob status is still just that...and I promise I won't let this go to my head 8)...but still...throughout history, many great discoveries have been named after the discoverer...So what do you think??? I'll entertain suggestions :wink:
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

That's not a bug. Everything has a trade-off.. keeping your home partition basically means keeping your old configurations so when new software behaves the way old versions did and look funny consequently because they're not configured to take advantage of new improvements, you can't call that a bug since it's exactly what you went for.

People have different needs, I personally like to start fresh. If you keep your home, then you're making your transition easier but you're not starting fresh as far as config goes.. you're starting with a fresh system using old user configuration.

It's probably fine but your attention should immediately be focused on:
- resetting gconf settings
- removing hidden folders from your home

when something goes wrong for no apparent reasons.

so no, not a bug. What you need is a mintUpgrade tool to do that for you.. :)

Clem
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

clem wrote:so no, not a bug. What you need is a mintUpgrade tool to do that for you.. :) Clem
Oh darn! I was already preparing for all the interviews.

However, the you gave me fixed the Menu. Now I can't help but wonder how else my /home partition has to be cleaned. Any ideas?
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Software Portal

Post by kanishka »

I had the same problem and fixed it, thanks to Clem.
Now I can't help but wonder how else my /home partition has to be cleaned. Any ideas?
I'm wondering the same
Husse

Post by Husse »

I haven't had the time to do it yet, but you have to clean the hidden folders in home.
It's the gconf and gnome ones mainly but not only
You could go by date...
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

Husse wrote:I haven't had the time to do it yet, but you have to clean the hidden folders in home.
It's the gconf and gnome ones mainly but not only
You could go by date...
Thanks Husse. The problem is I don't know how to do that, or what or how to look for them.

Perhaps someone, who isn't busy, can do one of those tutorial things. I'd do it, but see above.

(Still a noob in a holding pattern)
Husse

Post by Husse »

I know what to do, but must admit that getting it down in writing is a bit of a challenge
When I've gone through my own home I might write something
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

Husse wrote:I know what to do, but must admit that getting it down in writing is a bit of a challenge
When I've gone through my own home I might write something
Thanks.
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kanishka »

Thanks so much Husse, I'd hate to cripple the lovely Daryna with my n00biness... :wink:

Return to “Releases & Announcements”