Linux Mint 5 Elyssa KDE CE RC1 (BETA 045) is out!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint 5 Elyssa KDE CE RC1 (BETA 045) is out!

Post by clem »

Linux Mint 5 KDE Community Edition RC1 (BETA 045) is out and available for download. I hope you'll be numerous to test it and we'll receive plenty of feedback.

Please find all relevant information about this release at this address: http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_elyssa_kde.php

I'd also like to thank and congratulate Jamie "Boo" Birse for maintaining this edition and for making it better and better with each release.

Have fun with it and don't forget to give us feedback by replying to this thread.

Clem.
badmotor

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa KDE CE RC1 (BETA 045) is out!

Post by badmotor »

Let me be the first to say BRILLIANT, and well done so far to the Mint team :D
lanrun
Level 3
Level 3

Post by lanrun »

Downloaded and booted off the DVD. It looks nice.
Well done I think.
brando569

Post by brando569 »

perfect timing! I'm getting fed up with Kubuntu 8.04 so this comes at the perfect time :D

Post by Guest »

Looks nice. Which verion of KDE is in this release? If it's not 4.1 then when would you expect it to be available in the repos?
hamburn

Post by hamburn »

My thanks to the community, and a special thank you to Clem and Boo, who again made a most enchanting edition working.
This is the OS which a former win user can work with best, without crying about the learning curve. It works out of the box.

H.
Last edited by hamburn on Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hopeful

Post by hopeful »

Warm thanks for the developers who put their time into this work.

I hope they can find the additional time for rectifying the following problem so that MintKDE5 becomes actually usable with wireless on a laptop. In my case, this is an IBM X41, about two years old, but I do not think the problem is in any way specific to it.

My present tests are done from the live DVD.

After starting wireless under "settings" etc. and using dhclient to get an IP address, I have a wireless connection. I can ping my local network, but I cannot get with konqueror on the internet. Curiously enough, I can do so with firefox for one first time but then no further.

It appears to me that the problematic is very much related to the two similar problems I experienced with MintKDE4, in this case after installing it, and which caused me to eventually abandon it and not send the substantial contribution I had intended, namely a) I had to activate wireless each time seperately under "settings", and then get an IP address with dhclient, irrespective of specifying that activation should have been done upon starting Mint, and b) I was unable to get onto the internet with konqueror (though fish and ssh worked over wireless on the local network, and with Firefox I could get on the internet; a DNS problem? But then, why did things work perfectly well with half a dozen other distributions?).

And yes, of course, the burning of the DVD is verified, md5 is checked for the download, and what I am writing you repeatedly tested, so do not blame such trivialities.

whug
bernado

Post by bernado »

I really like to thank all of you for the efford you put in this KDE release !!! 8) . Here are some bugs or problems I found:

1.) You installed the KDE oxygen-icon set by default, but you can't activate it because its located unter usr/lib/kde4/share/icons. So you have to link usr/lib/kde4/share/icons/oxygen to /usr/share/icons/oxygen. Or have a look at this icon theme. Its the same one but even better. After unpacking it (you need "7zip" from the repro) is about 200 MB big.
http://rapidshare.com/files/85208191/oxygen.7z

2.) New KDM Themes installed by KDM Manager are not beeing activated

3.) New Printer configuration. Printer is automaticcally configured in Elyssa Gnome. But not in KDE. I started the KDE Printer configuration tool but my printer Canon i560 was not found. It was found and automatically configured in Elyssa.

4.) No graphical tool for configurationg a DSL connection without router ? Just the console - version "sudo pppoeconf" is there.

Thatś it for the moment

Bernado
roadrash
Level 2
Level 2

RC1 - beta 045: is this a possible bug?

Post by roadrash »

I was using firefox on ebay and went to leave feedback but the box to enter feedback comments ("please explain" is its title) is invisible as it has no border. I thought I better tell firefox about this and went to firefox's help menu and selected "report a problem" but all I get is an error message [javascrpit application] unexpected error!

are any of these bugs?

Sorry to be one of the first with a possible problem but at least it's a minor anoyance.

Well done it's a super job.

update: Just noticed there is no search box border visible on straight google.com either (not green custom Mint version)
I can only see a flashing cursor where it is located. But if i load google.com in konqueror the search box is visable so this appears to be a problem with firefox rather than Mint.
Last edited by roadrash on Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:06 am, edited 6 times in total.
pabreo

Post by pabreo »

Excellent work guys. I am a newbie to using Linux Mint. Having tried out kubuntu (very slow) , pc-os (ok) , puppy linux , slax i think this is the best desktop os i have seen so far.
darco
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darco »

Wow, KDE is pretty cool! A little different from Gnome which I have been using for years....Bummer I am only running it from via virtualization cuz I am unable to see the full effects (compiz, etc...).
The other bummer for me is my old trusty dev box is decommissioned cuz I bought a DVI cable for my main pc (Mint) and my KVM switch cant utilize the DVI connection. :(
arrghh,,,,,

darco

hmmm..my laptop may have just volunteered!
brando569

Post by brando569 »

I just installed the beta and it is beautiful, the artwork is amazing especially the grub menu. The only two problems I'm having is that I cant install the nvidia driver via envy (which ive never had any luck with, I always did a manual install) and that I have no idea on how to enable bash aliases since I dont have a .bashrc file in my home directory :? All I have to say is keep up the great work and I'm really looking forward to the final version!
Hunti242

Post by Hunti242 »

this version looks great...congratulation...

I have found one problem:

during boot the monitor screen is black and it says out of spec (how can I adjust the vertical refresh rate (60 Hz would be enough))

thx a lot

hunti242 (germany)
ElEdwards
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ElEdwards »

I'd like to try this, too... but I don't have DVD-burning capabilities (and won't for the foreseeable future). Is there any way the final release can also have a CD version?

El
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Just a quick note about proxy support: MintUpdate 3.0 will soon hit the Romeo repositories and among other new cool features it will introduce proxy support.

Clem.
Yary12

Post by Yary12 »

It's really the most beautiful Linux distro I have ever seen. YOU ARE GREAT PEOPLE!!!
Though I have one problem- there is not any sound after installing it.
My hardware: Gigabyte EX38 DS4, Gigabyte 8800GTS, 4 GB RAM, Samsung HD753LJ, E8400@ 3,5 GHz
Rob Brill

Post by Rob Brill »

Hi,

Hardware - ok
Light running as a Live Dvd
Easy rolling installation
Brazilian Portuguese language - ok
Excellent artwork
Great job guys
No bugs found yet

According to my necessities i don't think i will need a definitive final version
to install again but certainly i will ...

Congratulations! Boo, exploder, and the team.

Roberto :wink:
darco
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darco »

Unable to utilize the latest Flash...had to downgrade to ver 9. FF would crash on youtube....

darco
Dutchy112

Post by Dutchy112 »

It looks great, thanks a lot. I am much happier now.

But I did notice one little thing: Using the live DVD, clicking the button called mint (next to the Run Program on the menu) n that lists all of the sessions that are available, I thought: Nice touch. Turns out though by switching to tty1 and then back to 7 brings one back to a locked screen, there is no way out of that other than restarting X (or rebooting) If there is no user password on the live DVD, why is the session locked?

I don't think this issue is much of a big deal on an installed system where the user should know the pw, but on the live DVD it can be one.

No matter what, I am glad to be able to tell others that there is now a kde version of mint they can use. I can also confirm Dutch translations of the installer are fine. Well done.

Mint is the distro I recommend to newbies, and you all just make it better and better each time. Kudos.
roadrash
Level 2
Level 2

Couple of problems

Post by roadrash »

I have got Mint 5 installed now & running nicely although I have encountered a couple of problems along the way. I have resolved all but one of them. Here is what i found.

1) I had problems with the text entry boxes in firefox being invisible. I did another clean install of Mint and instead of using the restricted drivers to install the Nvidia graphics driver I used Envy instead & it cured this problem.

2) After installing Mint I let "Mint Update" install all the updates but after it had finished I found I had lost all sound. After checking a number of things, I had run out of ideas but then remember in the past running a util called "alsaconf" which normally resides in the /usr/sbin/ folder but for some reason is missing in Mint. So I copied the alsaconf script from a PCLOS install i made on a another partition and just opening a terminal & running "alsaconf" and selecting my sound card got the sound working again.

3) I am still unable to Log Out and back in again. I enabled the Root account during install but when I am logged in as a user then select Log Out from the K menu It exits KDE & then my PC just stops with a blank Screen. Nothing I do at the keyboard will get me back to the Log In screen. I have to hit the Pc's reset button and boot Mint all over again to get to the Log In screen.

Problem 3) now solved thanks to Fred. (see this thread: http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=109&t=15745)
All along it was because of a mounting & permission problem of my hard disk partitions, mainly the NTFS one. I can now log in & out as normal.
Last edited by roadrash on Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:22 am, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”