Ideas for Felicia XFCE CE

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Ideas for Felicia XFCE CE

Post by merlwiz79 »

OK any ideas for changes should go here.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Insane1
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Ideas for Felicia XFCE CE

Post by Insane1 »

Perhaps something to aid installing GTK, Icon, X11 cursor, and XFWM themes with? I mean personally I'm fine with using the .icons and .themes folders and manually moving my themes to them using "show hidden files", but it would be neat to have a graphical way of doing so. Well if it's possible, not sure how hard it would turn out to really be to make. Just throwing my random idea to start things off :oops:
hopetoregistersoon

Post by hopetoregistersoon »

merlwiz79 posted how to update to final from beta here =>http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=110&t=16264
hopetoregistersoon

Post by hopetoregistersoon »

hopetoregistersoon wrote:merlwiz79 posted how to update to final from beta here =>http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=110&t=16264
opps sorry posted reply to wrong thread. please delete
DapperMe17

Post by DapperMe17 »

Build-essential is an absolute must, especially when Mint KDE and Gnome have it by default.

Without it, an internet connection, it is impossible to build a wireless madwifi driver.

Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

linuxminted wrote:- Minty Fresh as Icon theme ( http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... &sk=t&sd=a )
- Elegant Brit as default theme ( http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/ ... tent=74553 ). Although I think It should be tweaked a bit to be more minty :D
- Abiword and Gnumeric instead of OpenOffice Write and Calc
- Conky? ( I like this config : http://www.quicktweaks.com/2008/09/27/g ... u-desktop/ :mrgreen: )

Just my two cents ;)
I can agree on the icons, but NOT on the theme.
Abiword and Gnumeric are fine, but they format some files really poor.
Conky - Absolutely!
My idea for a theme would be "NewCarbonit" - and "Therapy" for window borders. - see below!
Click miniature for big image!
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

ossified65 wrote:Would it be crazy hard to make a decent xfce menu editor? If we had one we could rearrange the menus and get rid of entries left behind by wine much easier. :P
For me yes.

Go to /etc/xdg/xfce4/desktop and open xfce-registered-categories.xml
This is the file that has the sub menus.
Entries left behind from wine are located in ~/.local/share/applications/
Thomas
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Thomas »

A decent xfce menu?
Sorry, but the current one is crap lol.
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

Thomas wrote:A decent xfce menu?
Sorry, but the current one is crap lol.
I quite disagree, but then again, that is my opinion.

Going against the grain of most posts I have read in here on the subject, I like the simplicity of the Xfce default menu. I also like the menu editor UP TO the point that it actually works. What I wish is that the Xfce people would finally fix this editor so it can be used to tweak the entire menu instead of having to edit .xml files.

Anyway, the Mint menu can be installed very easily, though I believe some functionality is lost. I think I read that merlwiz79 may be working on fixing these issues? The Gnome menu can also be installed. So no, please leave the default menu alone for people like me who want a simple, clean interface. That is, after all, what Xfce is supposed to be about.
Xgamer
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Xgamer »

Screenshot of your imagine looks very nice but Window theme should be different. I think that better would be Axe theme from xfce-look or sth similary,sth more simple :wink:. With that it will look great. Thx for your great work for us :wink:

PS: Which version of XFCE will be included in Linux Mint 6 XFCE CE? It will be build form svn or it will use actually version 4.42?
Thomas
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Thomas »

Well, i do like it, but it could be MUCH better while still being simple.
fireice-LLH

Post by fireice-LLH »

-> mintMenu for XFCE
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

fireice-LLH wrote:-> mintMenu for XFCE
Can be done by installing the "XfApplet" panel plugin - SAM Linux 2008 uses the mintMenu on Xfce this way.
Link to panel plugin
Also avaliable in synaptic.
Last edited by Zwopper on Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

fireice-LLH wrote:-> mintMenu for XFCE
http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 45#p101645
fireice-LLH

Post by fireice-LLH »

i meant a native xfce mintmenu, not the one from the gnome version

an other idea:

including those screenshot app -> GScrot

simple but powerful
beranger
Level 1
Level 1

Post by beranger »

1. Personal opinion: I use the XFCE edition of Mint on an old laptop specifically because it does not use any “fancy” menu; I like the XFCE one, thank you.

2. Applet to be loaded by default: xfce4-clipman-plugin, for the newbies might not know you should not close the source application before pasting into the target application!

3. Another applet to be loaded by default: xfce4-cpugraph-plugin, with the “action” set not to top, but to gnome-system-monitor, so to have an easy way to kill any zombie application!

4. Mousepad added into the top part of the menu for easy access, the same way you have the web browser and the terminal.

5. Maybe this is not the best place for such a question, but I guess it can be escalated to Clem:

It seems that the Mint Linux project manages to collect some non-negligible donations, which is excellent. The problem is, not everyone uses the main, GNOME-based edition, but some might prefer one of the Community Editions, and thus I believe that they should be able to donate to encourage a specific CE, possibly in a split way: 50% going to Mint, 50% going to the CE maintainer (Jamie "Boo" Birse for the KDE edition; "Merlwiz79" for the XFCE edition; Shane Joe Lazar for the Fluxbox edition). What d'ya think? It would only be fair to have 4 types of donations: (a) Linux Mint; (b) KDE CE; (c) XFCE CD; (d) Fluxbox CE. (the exact percentages could be adjusted)
Last edited by beranger on Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kanishka »

beranger wrote:2. Applet to be loaded by default: xfce4-clipman-plugin, for the newbies might not know you should not close the source application before pasting into the target application!
:shock: :shock:
AARGH so that's why!!! It's the same in KDE, I didn't know... Ok I'm a n00b :oops:
beranger
Level 1
Level 1

Post by beranger »

In KDE you should have Klipper active (it's active by default in many distros, but not all) to have a full clipboard management. Isn't Klipper started by default in Mint KDE? (I thought it was.)
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

kanishka wrote:
beranger wrote:2. Applet to be loaded by default: xfce4-clipman-plugin, for the newbies might not know you should not close the source application before pasting into the target application!
:shock: :shock:
AARGH so that's why!!! It's the same in KDE, I didn't know... Ok I'm a n00b :oops:
LOL I completely forgot that there was a clipboard plugin. :shock:
I was looking at Parcellite as a possible one but it used too much RAM.
beranger
Level 1
Level 1

Post by beranger »

A couple of some more questions to be addressed for Felicia:
  • Are you aware of xfce4-taskmanager, which is much lighter than gnome-system-monitor? Could Felicia be more XFCE-centric?
  • Also about the XFCE-centricity: how about Ristretto for the default image viewer?
  • Xfburn is already quite good, it knows about DVDs now, and you could already use the latest version, not the one provided by Ubuntu. See this (for a screenshot), and this for the burning options. Could Xfburn be on the CD?
  • Why do we use GNOME's notification-daemon instead of the xfce-notification-daemon?
  • Why do we need to start the GNOME services by default? Isn't this consuming the RAM to the point of not making such a big difference between GNOME and XFCE? Oh, and why can't I kill gnome-vfs-daemon without having it up again?
About the situation of having the GNOME services started, see the blog post To XFCE, or not to XFCE? for a surprise finding of the negligible difference between running Nautilus and running Thunar:

In terms of Resident Memory:
  • about 12 MB for a Thunar window ($HOME)
  • about 23 MB for a Nautilus window ($HOME)
In terms of Virtual Memory (although the swap is no problem):
  • about 82 MB for a Thunar window ($HOME)
  • about 66 MB for a Nautilus window ($HOME)
Oops?!

(But don't shoot the piano man!)

Return to “Xfce”