Fresh Installs Are Buggy Suddenly solved

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
brando569

Fresh Installs Are Buggy Suddenly solved

Post by brando569 »

This has only happened recently (within the past few days) which is odd. I used Mint 4 for about a month or two but then I screwed stuff up and decided to check out Ubuntu 8.04 and had massive problems with that for some reason so I decided to go back to mint for since it (almost) always worked well for me. Installation and everything went fine and it booted into mint as expected. I started updating, customizing and tweaking some stuff and once everything was done I rebooted and was brought to a terminal instead of KDM, I assumed it was a driver problem or something so I logged in and typed startx and got this error:

Code: Select all

Inconsistency detected by ld.so: dl-open.c: 260: dl_open_worker: Assertion `_dl_debug_initialize (0, args->nsid)->r_state == RT_CONSISTENT' failed!
giving up.
xinit: connection refused (errno 111): unable to connect to xserver
xinit: no such process (errno 3): server error
I tried a few things but nothing seemed to fix it, so I figured I would reinstall everything since I wouldnt really lose anything. All went well again but I didnt format my home partition, seeing as it wouldnt effect anything. Everything went just as before, the initial bootup and login were fine but this time I only removed packages I knew I wouldnt use and werent important (kde apps, Xorg wacom drivers, laptop stuff), enabled all the repositories except romeo (just as i did before), reloaded the sources, and selected mark updates and had it download everything. When everything was done I rebooted and the same thing happened.

I have no idea why this is happening or what is going on here. Another weird thing I noticed is that I used the same DVD for all three installs (initial which worked fine, the second and third ones which screwed up almost immediately) and the first install went flawlessly but on the second and third ones grub kept saying mint.message was missing.

The only thing I can think of that I did differently between installs is I think I didnt use the computer at all while it was installing the first time, but the second and third times I was using the computer to browse sites and other random things, I wouldnt think this would affect the installation since my computer is relatively high end and I just built it in January.

I still have access to the installation so I can retrieve any logs or anything if necessary.

Thanks In Advance
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Updating a Fresh Install Kills The Xserver

Post by Husse »

I don't recognize the error, but from your description it sounds like it could be something in /home that does it
I just installed the final (for the second time - I must have pushed the wrong button at sometime - the first got screwed up - but it's so easy to reinstall...) keeping my separate home partition
But I do one important thing before install
I create a folder and in that folder I put all the config files and folders of my home
This is all the hidden ones and perhaps a few more - but not folders like the mozilla folders with profiles
Why? Because this way I get a pristine install without influence from the previous version. And as I keep the files and folders when/if I install some app again I can just copy the config
So what I'm saying is try a fresh install this way
brando569

Post by brando569 »

thats usually what i do also, before the second install I wiped both home and root, i assumed it was a problem with the libs or something on the root partition so i kept home intact. when I searched for the error on google before i posted this, it seems its not specific to X or anything its just a general error, and that a few people had it happen with open office. example if no other suggestions are posted by later tonight I'll probably attempt an install for the 4th time.
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

brando569 wrote: All went well again but I didnt format my home partition, seeing as it wouldnt effect anything.
I think that Hardy changed your .config files in /home and this is where the problem is from.

Try this:
rename, move, or delete your .config folders from /home/you. Reboot. Still have problems? Selectively restore settings as needed. Likely NOT the problem: anything related to browser favorites or email settings.
brando569

Post by brando569 »

I erased /home after I went from hardy to daryna. /home was still there from daryna to daryna though.
brando569

Post by brando569 »

ive tried to reinstall mint atleast two more times and both times it has screwed up. the time before last (cant remember if it was the second or third or fourth attempt), it did the same thing so i reinstalled it again, this time without updating anything except changing the video driver (not downloading a new one, just changed it in the system settings) and rebooted. when i was brought to KDM to login, the resolution was all screwey, so i killed it and went to a terminal to make a new xconfig (dpgk-reconfigure) and restarted x and got the same thing. the last install was on a brand new dvd-rw burned at 4x, but that didnt seem to fix anything.

just for the hell of it i installed it in a virtual machine (virtualbox to be exact) to see if it would screw up again, to my suprise it didnt.

ive already ruled out my memory as a problem (did a full cycle of memtest and it ended up no errors), ran orthos (dual core version of prime95) to test my processor but my pc was frozen when i checked it 9+ hours later, but i think thats because it got too hot (around 150-155F when stress testing, and i only have air cooling), which seems to happen a lot of my amd x2 6400 black edition. it usually runs around 100-120F.

the only other thing i can think of is that my dvd drive is bad, which come to think of it might actually be the problem considering when i installed mint the first time it was with my original drive that i bought from new egg (and sent it back to new egg about 3-4 months later because i thought it had randomly lost its lightscribe ability, when in actually it didnt have it in the first place :oops: ) and all these other installs, including the release of hardy heron which also exhibited massive problems for me, were with the drive i received from them as a replacement. anyone know of a way to test this out other then using another drive?
brando569

Re: Fresh Installs Are Buggy Suddenly

Post by brando569 »

i managed to install mint from a usb drive and all went well, so it was the dvd drive that was my problem. back to newegg it goes...

Return to “Software & Applications”