Linux Mint 5 Elyssa officially released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint 5 Elyssa officially released!

Post by clem »

It is with great pleasure that I officially announce the release of Linux Mint 5 Elyssa.

Please find all relevant information (list of new features, known issues, download mirrors & torrents, upgrade instructions, user guide, software portal) about the Main Edition at this address: http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_elyssa.php

For the Light Edition, please visit: http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_elyssa_light.php

I hope you'll enjoy our latest release and don't hesitate to give us feedback.

Have fun and thanks for choosing Linux Mint,

Clem.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa officially released!

Post by MagnusB »

Better get on wget then :)
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

congrats to all who worked on this release! mint ftw!
ksousa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ksousa »

The best news (after the victory of Portugal in Euro 2008 ;) )
Thanks Clem and all the team by your hard work ... I think Elyssa will be the best distro in 2008.
Congratulations
frank392
Level 4
Level 4

Post by frank392 »

Thanks to Clem and the rest of the team and everybody who had contributed for these extraordinary release. Great Job!!! :D
Last edited by frank392 on Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
darco
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darco »

Is this the same .iso that was available since Friday?

darco
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Post by red-e-made »

Looks awesome. I have it installed now on an HP dv6775 and everything - even the little built-in webcam - worked right out of the box. Very slick operations. Thanks everyone.
lonoy

Post by lonoy »

A big thank you. Works like a dream:)
derek

Post by derek »

If I install the initial set of updates, it borks my X config with the proprietary nvidia drivers. Doesn't seem to matter how I install them, I tried envy, the restricted drivers manager, and doing it manually. If I do it manually, it does install and I can bring startx up as normal via the command line using the nvidia drivers. After a reboot though, it pukes, and tells me there is no valid configuration. If I use the config tool that pops up on failure, it won't start the nvidia drivers, even if i manually choose them.

I just did a fresh reinstall, without the updates, and everything appears to be running as it should be (well, as it ran during the betas. Still have to set a decent resolution via 'sudo nvidia-settings', but it's done that since the first beta.)
Dupo

Post by Dupo »

Thanks to Clem and the Linux Mint Team. :wink:

I download it now. :D
Poussah

Post by Poussah »

There is an error in the update instructions: "tansmission-common" instead of "transmission-common"

Good work, thanx!
FyrFyt
Level 1
Level 1

Post by FyrFyt »

Well done and congrats on what is another milestone for the Linux Mint team. I had the betas on a HP dv2125 laptop. Broadcom worked with WPA out of the box. WEP a little issues. I can not wait to try out the final. I have been using Mint since 4 came out and I can say I love Linux Mint. Well Done!
Thomas
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Thomas »

Wow, just got done with the one from friday, testing now :)
derek

Post by derek »

carbon_unit wrote:I am still running Daryna and I have a separate / and /home partitions. Can I install without formatting the /home partition or will it cause problems?
That should be fine. At worst, you may have to delete a config directory for a certain application in your home directory, but by and large there should be no issues.
darco
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darco »

Ok, I installed LM5 Final on my MAIN pc..woot!!!......Its running like a champ. I have not found any issues that a reboot didn't fix!! This OS is smooth as silk!!!!
Just awesome :D :D :D
Next my Lappy!

Gateway FX 7024
Intel Core 2 Quad 6600
Intel Chipset G33
3Gig crappy pc2 5300 ram
465 gig Sata II HHD
Nvidia 8800GT (Envy)
HP OJ5610 /Scanner works :)

darco
Last edited by darco on Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
choupique

Post by choupique »

All good here, works great. Zapped my two partitions running 4 and that "other distro" :o , running solo w/ Elyssa.
Clem & all involved with making Linux Mint 5 a success: Enjoy all the congrats and thanks, you deserve it.
FulciLives
Level 1
Level 1

Post by FulciLives »

I cannot wait to try it ... thanks for making Linux easy and fun to use !!!

- John Coleman

P.S.
Been a Linux Mint fan since I discovered Cassandra :)
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Post by red-e-made »

carbon_unit wrote:I am still running Daryna and I have a separate / and /home partitions. Can I install without formatting the /home partition or will it cause problems?
Here's what I recommend doing. It's very simple.

1. When you install, format only the / partition. Don't do anything to the other partitions.

2. Once complete, open the home folder of your new / partition in one window, and open your old home partition in another. Be sure to check the "Show hidden files" box in both.

3. Move all your important files from the old home partition to your new home folder. Once you're sure you have moved everything, delete the contents of the old home partition.

4. Follow the instructions on this page in order to connect your new home folder to your now-empty former home partition.

This may seem unnecessarily backwards or complicated, but after two failed attempts that required two fresh installs in a row, this is what I found to be the safest way to ensure that you save the settings you want from your old home partition without causing conflicts with the settings in your new home folder.
CP`

Post by CP` »

I just tested out Mint for the first time, I'd been following it for awhile, and it seems to suffer the same issue as Ubuntu does. If you're using a Asus P5N32 motherboard(and possibly all nVidia 680i based motherboards, although I'm not 100% sure) you will not be able to get a wired internet connection to run without using the following commands:

Code: Select all

$ sudo su
# rmmod forcedeth
# modprobe forcedeth msi=0 msix=0
# /etc/init.d/networking restart
I got this information from http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766629&page=2 and it worked great for me on Ubuntu and Mint.
derixc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by derixc »

Absolutely fantastic. I admire all the dedications and hard work that you put into just to have the best possible distro out there. Congratulations once again, I'll sure make a review on my site. :)

Return to “Releases & Announcements”